3 1/2 year old has NEVER slept thru the night!

Usually my Son will go to sleep in his own bed, but wakes up and wants to sleep with us. I am usually really tired and let him. But last night my husband put his foot down and said no more. I was up litterally ALL night trying to get him to sleep in his own room. The problem is not really getting him out of our bed, but it's just getting him to stop waking up. I've heard mothers of two month olds bragging that their baby sleeps all night. He is my oldest, and has NEVER, EVER stayed asleep all night. I have tried so many things. Cup of whole milk before bed to fill his tummy, nothing to drink an hour before bed, spraying his bed with lavender, warm baths, camamille tea, cry it out, NOTHING works. I have a two year old that is a perfect sleeper, and I am pregnant with my third due in a couple more months. I know with this new baby I will be up a lot, and I just dont want to deal with my older kid waking up constantly on top of it. On really good nights when he is super tired he might only wake up once, and I can handle that, but sometimes he is up 4 or 5 times, almost every hour, and it is so hard to get him to sleep again once he wakes up. What can I do?

busywithbabies

Asked by busywithbabies at 10:01 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my dd is four and just started sleeping thru the whole night and In her own bed (so trust me you are not alone)! you just got to keep trying and figure out what works for you and your child .
    I make her(dd) a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a cup of milk, then a bath and brush teeth ....I put her lavender lotion on her, then pjs and bed .....while she's in bed I read her a really long book (horton hears a hoo,horton hatches an egg,the lorax etc and I change them out ever so often at the library) oh and I make sure she goes to the bathroom before ....she usually falls asleep while im reading !
    I had the same problem as you dd would wake up 4-5 times during the night and come in our bed ....sometimes I wouldn't even notice her come in the bed ! I had to stop etting her watch dvds in her bed etc because it woud keep her up and when she would fall asleep she would wake up and want to change it etc,
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 10:22 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Is he taking naps? I might cut them out or cut it down if he is. Also how do you handle it when he wakes up?
    momof2cuteboys

Answer by momof2cuteboys at 10:03 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• you could always put a gate up at his door, and let him know that he needs to stay in his own bed at night. That your bed is for you and Daddy.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:07 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• He does not take naps unless on occasion he will fall asleep in the car. when he wakes up, I usually send him to potty, and offer him a drink if he is thirsty. Then I just try to explain to him that it is night time, and mommy needs sleep too. Sometimes will just keep crying because he wants me to stay with him, which is why I started letting him in our bed. I know that was a bad habbit that I now need to break, but after this long of being woken up so much I am exhausted. He has his own room, but we recently moved his bed into his sisters room because i thought maybe he didnt want to be alone. I also added night lights because i thought he might be afraid of the dark, but still nothing helped.
    busywithbabies

Comment by busywithbabies (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• However you decide to handle it, you need to be consistant. Have your hub get up with him
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:13 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Just keep putting him back. Put a gate up if you need to. He will eventually figure out that he's not going to sleep in your bed any more. Good Luck :)
    Wendy_June

Answer by Wendy_June at 10:17 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My dd is 3.5 and doesn't sleep through the night.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 10:42 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My son just started sleeping through the night a few months ago and he is 4 now.He refused to sleep in his own bed the entire night. I had to finally put my foot down and make him stay in there. It was no time before he was sleeping through the night.
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 10, 2011