I’m often mocked for my accent in English and I am worried that the same situation will happen to my kid. How can I stop this from happening?

joanmartinez

Asked by joanmartinez at 10:16 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You can't.  Everyone is going to be teased for something.  I would focus more on making sure that your child knows there is absolutely nothing wrong with the way he or she speaks.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:18 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• One of my best friends is English and I always loved her accent. Her brothers and sisters were younger then she when they came over and by the time they graduated hs they had no accent. I never saw or heard of them being teased either.

Answer by gemgem at 10:20 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My DH parents have a very thick Italian accent where many people cannot understand them at all. But my DH has no Italian accent at all & never did. Wherever you go in the USA people have an accent associated with that region. Where I live, everyone talks like Tony Soprano! LOL! When we go on vacation, people comment about the accent and you know what??? We laugh. We are proud of where we came from!! Instill that in your child! Be proud no matter what!! :)

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:33 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• ugh, people are so rude. Your accent is beautiful!! Teach your child that. Kids will be teased for something or another just let your child know it is ok to be different and the accent gives him/her character which is lacking in most American children these days
    Granolamama3795

Answer by Granolamama3795 at 10:38 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• i get teased for my southern accent but i'm proud of who i am and where i come from :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:56 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I did some research before I decided what to do about my kids’ accent (we moved from England to France when she was 7), and discovered that there are 50 different sounds that you can teach your child until the age of 10 which will enable them to speak any language accent-free for the rest of their lives. There are a few programs that teach this but the best I have found is GiftedSpeech. http://www.giftedspeech.com. GiftedSpeech is a fun and educational product that currently teaches kids the sounds of Spanish, French, and Mandarin. I know that they are soon coming out with more languages. The program allows children to learn independently, without the need for special assistance from parents or reading or writing knowledge. It was a fun activity that allowed me to leave my daughter playing on her own. I highly recommend this product and I hope that it helps pave your child’s way to a better future.
    joannek725

Answer by joannek725 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I LOVE the English accent, your son's will be chick magnents lol
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My MIL is British and my husband doesn't have an English accent. I love to listen to my MIL talk.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:40 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• no she dosen't have an english accent she said her accent in english, i assume they usually speak spanish, roght op?
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:27 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• How old are your kids? If they are still young, they probably won't have to worry about it. My parents have a strong accent, but my brother and I don't have any (we were born in the US). Most kids with immigrant parents who I know don't have an accent unless they came to the states in high school or later. And even if they retain something of an accent, I don't see any problem with that. Kids will always pick on others for something (you can't protect them from that), but when they grow up they will find out that it's not so strange or weird... and hopefully they will learn to be proud of who they are. Being a little different can also make you stand apart in a good way. And honestly, I've been in many situations where NOT having an accent was a little different... this world is changing and blending in a good way. :)
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2011