Scared of labor! adult content

My sister called me stupid for not getting pain meds.  I know that here I will get some freaking support so I am posting!  This is my 4th pregnancy.  I've had 3 births without pain meds.  I know that I CAN do it.  But I am extremely scared of the pain.  I've tried a lot of techniques that just don't work for me.  It's going to freaking hurt.  It's scary.  It doesn't change my outlook.  I will still have this child the same way I had my others.  I guess my question is, have you ever felt like you just don't want to feel the pain again?

MrsHouston47302

Asked by MrsHouston47302 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i cant relate honey, all 3 of mine were birthed via epidural or spinal tap! granted two of them were cesareans but my first was vaginal and i asked for the epi as soon as i was dilated enough.

im wondering what youre afraid of though given that you have already done this without pain meds three times? you are quite educated about what to expect. i think your hormones are probably getting the best of you right now and you cant think past the pain. but just remember you were able to do it 3 times before. the pain might have been indescribable but you did it. and it will be over with and long forgotten when your baby is here.

just relax and dont stress about it in the meantime. if you build up more fear about it, you will have a harder time not focusing on it when the big day comes. congrats and good luck!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• well if you have done it for your last 3 children you know what your in for. why be scared? yes its painful, but it does go away after the birth of the babby for the most part. I am sure you will do just fine. congrats on the new baby!
    Teresa2266

Answer by Teresa2266 at 10:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I did have pain meds with all 4 of mine, the last time the meds didn't work. I hated the pain and thought that nothing could hurt as much as labor......at the same time, the pain doesn't last. I just had to remind myself that it would be over soon. My labors were only 4-5 hours all together but hard labor was only about 1/2- 1 hour. You'll be fine and don't worry about what others think.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:39 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• C-sections are not that bad, I had 1 with my first...recovery was fast.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:40 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I had an epidural (wasn't a good one lol) but you have done it before, you can do it. Just breathe or do whatever that helps relieve the pain. (For me it was walking) Congrats btw!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• my first cesarean was painful because it was unplanned and i already had the epi for 9 hours before getting it. they gave me a bolus of numbing meds beforehand but it only worked on my left side. that was the most horrible pain ive ever been in. i could feel everything, cutting, bleeding out, pulling, tugging, pressure, being sown back up. and there was nothing they could do about it. i did NOT want to go under because i was not about to miss the birth of my baby. so i just laid there in agony and truly thought i was about to meet my maker. the blood loss was probably the most life-threatening thing of all.

anyway the second cesarean was so pleasant. didnt feel the slightest touch. but the recovery of both c-sections were a lot worse than vaginal recovery. especially after that 1st c-section!

even in that much pain, i drew my mind from it and made myself think of happier things.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• just make sure you have an awesome support system. my mom was there with me all 3 times and shes an excellent birthing coach! i really believe having a great support system is the best way especially if youre going it without pain meds!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:49 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• check out the video "Orgasmic Birth" it changed the way I am looking at my up coming labor. I was terrified- because that is all I have been taught- labor is just this horrible, painful crisis. A lot of the info in that video helped me to look forward to it being an intimate time with my body- experiencing my ability to birth.

I'm sure it's going to hurt like hell. But now I have the confidence that I can do it.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:51 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Honey, I am in awe of you. My first birth I tried to do naturally I dilated to 6cm at home and it HURT! I really wanted to go without pain meds but after hours at home (six hours I think it was) of hurting I got that epidural as fast as I could. And even then he wound up being an emergency C-section. With my daughter I had a small choice the doctor that delivered my son gave me a 50/50 chance of being able to deliver her VBAC. We didn't like those odds so my daughter was a planned C-section. The pain of both is like any other surgery you'd get. I was up and moving in public days after my son was born, my daughter I wound up with a reaction to the spinal so had a splitting headache the first few days after she was born. But it was controlled easily with the meds I was given, when I accepted them.

Momma, you'll be FINE whatever you decide to do and I think your sister spoke rashly.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:55 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Well I had epidurals with both labors, eventhough It was almost too late for my last child (I was 7cm by the time I got the magic liquid). And I would never choose to have3 a child without it lol. But it's all a personal choice, and yes pain is scarry. Not much you can do about it. Hopefully it will be short lived with this child and you will have a quick and uneventfull birth
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:14 AM on Feb. 10, 2011