Is my house haunted or is it possible that *I* am being haunted?

I'm was gonna go anon, but decided nah, cuz I know I'm not nuts - and there's gotta be an explanation.

First, this house we live in has NO reason that I can think of (or know) to be haunted - it was built by a single woman, she lived here alone for over 30 years and I'm the first person to live in it since she retired and moved away. We've been living here only 5 months. I'm a rational woman, I believe in God, I'm a Christian, and I know the bible teaches us that sometimes we battle 'principalities' ( satan, etc.) But lately, I'm starting to wonder if this is a spiritual battle or something else.

But, there have been some incidences here that I cannot explain.

1. I can hear what I derive as someone walking upstairs in the attic (boards creaking, popping, etc.) - I'd say this was the house settling BUT the sounds don't come from random places, they always come from the same area, never anywhere else, and most houses that settle, settle all over, right. --- This sound is ALWAYS in the same exact place (about a 3X10 area of the attic).

2. This is an A-Frame house , so the upstairs has angled walls -- and this makes the attic space along the sides of the bedrooms. There are attic doors on each side of the bedrooms as well -- looks like a big cabinet door that opens out with a second sliding door on the inside (so you have to open 2 doors to access the attic space), it goes inside the wall/attic which runs the length of the front and back of the house. A couple of times I've found the attic door open that coordinates on the same side of the attic to where the 'walking' sounds are coming from.

3. We have jack & jill bedrooms upstairs. Our bed is in one bedroom and the other bedroom has a built in dresser that is covered by double doors, I use this bedroom as my dressing room, DH never goes in there. A few times I've found the doors open and the top drawer of the built in dresser pulled out when I know I didn't open it.

4. I've seen what i think are shadows -- but I have never seen them straight on -- I always catch it in my peripheral vision, so I can't describe it any different than just a passing shadow. And I see this both upstairs and downstairs but I see it downstairs more.

5. I've experienced things that I cannot explain -- like sitting on the couch and having hot air blow by my ear. It's not a light wind either, it's a forceful pass of air, like someone gave you a big ole whiff of air by fanning you with an envelope. And no, I was sitting no where near a vent, windows were not open, heater was not running, I couldn't find ANY source or explanation of where the whiff of hot air being blown on my ear could come from. It was so sudden and unexpected that I grabbed my ear - startled enough that my DH has asked me what's wrong. I've felt 'touched' at times , like someone has reached over and touched my upper arm, reached out and touched my leg when I'm sitting, and I've felt weird things like feeling like someone is playing with my hair. But NONE of these feelings last more than just a split second.

6. I smoke, but I smoke outside on the patio (which is on the side of the house -- and the windows of the upstairs bedroom where our bed is overlooks the patio). While standing outside smoking I've seen shadows passing the window upstairs - when I'm home alone and when DH is sitting in the living room watching TV. I've ran upstairs but find nothing when I get there. Once, I was running up the stairs -- lights OFF and encountered a spot of light on a wall in the hall between the two bedrooms -- almost like it was being reflected from a mirror -- but there is no mirror or window or source of light to create it. THAT actually startled me so much that I screamed. But in the moment I screamed it was gone.

I won't talk to DH about this INSIDE the house. When he asked me about it I made him get in the truck and take a drive away from the house before I would tell him - when I did tell him, he told me that he's felt 'uneasy' at times, but chalked it up to stress or being tired.

I don't feel threatened or scared, per se. But I also feel like there are two things going on that are separate. The shadows, touches, blows of hot air feel 'different' than the walking noises, doors opening. Almost like one is harmless but the other is trying to be threatening.

I kinda feel silly laying all this out. But even writing it down still doesn't help me makes sense of it. I'm looking for a rational explanation of these things. Cuz like I said, I don't believe this house has any kind of "rich history" that would explain this stuff. (and while I'm typing this, I'm hearing "thumps" upstairs (in that same space) like someone taking off a shoe and dropping it).

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 10:32 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Did there used to be another house there before?
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:35 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Could the house be built on a gravesite?

Blessing the home may help to get rid of whatever is there. Ask your priest for help.

Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:38 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I forgot to add the kitchen door incidents. We have a galley style kitchen with a door on one end. All of our lower cabinets are drawers (large ones) -- One morning, while DH was out of town, I got up and my kitchen door was unlocked. (Now, I knew I locked it - BUT it has a battery operated lock on it -- and I wondered if someone had to code and had unlocked it from outside. - THAT thought scared me) So, that night, I checked and double checked it -- then I decided to get More proactive and not only locked the door, but I also pulled the drawer in front of it out to block the door. I figured if someone did have the code, if they tried to open the door it would hit the drawer, block the door AND make a noise loud enough to wake my dogs. Next morning I get up, the drawer is pushed in all the way and the door is unlocked again.

This has happened about 4 times in a month or so.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Maybe speak with the previous owner and see if she experienced any of these things?
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I don't believe the house is built on a gravesite --- this part of the country AND this particular land is straight up hill... my back yard is actually higher than the windows on the back of the house, and the front yard goes straight down hill..... sort of like a slot of land was leveled in the side of a hill and a house built on the leveled pad. I don't believe another house was here either --- and ALL of that makes this stuff even more confusing and odd. The house was built in 1974.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• well have your checked out the area the land that it was built on or cemataries that are nearby. it may not be so much of the past owner or the house but more the land or nearby sites that could cause it. just to let you know if you acknowledge it you can get it more power and energy to do more things or make things worse. but i would definatly be very unnerved.
    i would start by cleansing the house with some sage and bless it with some holy water and prayers. also sprinkle some salt along the threshold. see if that helps.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:41 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• if ever you feel threatened by this, tell it to stop. it may just be curious and non threatening. to me it doesnt sound negative. you might want to have a paranormal investigator come and give you a better idea of what youre dealing with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• First, no you are not crazy and kudos to you for not going anon (c: If your husband is feeling "uneasy" he may be seeing or hearing things as well. Just because you home is not old does not mean the land it was built on does not have history or that the woman who lived there before you did not invite something into the home. I would have your minister come and bless the home. Good luck!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:44 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• OK, my first reaction was that my Parents had an A-frame summer home with the attic space similar to yours and we started hearing odd sounds and it turned out to be tons of mice & squirrels living in the eves. Mice running at night & squirrels during the day. If that is not the case with your home, I believe you may be experiencing something supernatural. If you want it to leave, you actually have to ask it to leave or else it will stay. What I recommend is getting a bottle of holy water and going to each room & sprinkle a bit of it & say "I cast you out in the name of Jesus Christ". Do it in every room the out the front door. Then say "whoever you are, You MUST leave NOW". I have personally done this & it works. What may be causing your problem is, either it is something associated with the land or a piece of furniture or an item you brought into the home or was left by the previous owner. Get rid of it if you can. GL
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:45 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• You are not crazy. I would do as PP have suggested. Look to see i there was another house there before that one. Check to see if there are grave sites or burial sites close. Check to see if a tragic accident happened near your area.

tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 10:46 AM on Feb. 10, 2011