JUNK FOOD + My four year old....(very picky eater)

All my son wants to do is eat junk food all day long! I can hardly get him to eat a healthy meal. What can I do to get him to eat healthier????

jmgblair10

Asked by jmgblair10 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Don't give him the junk. In fact,stop buying it all together

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• agreed. if its not there to eat, he wont have that opportunity. its up to the parents to make sure their kids are eating healthy.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Its not that the opportunity isnt there. I eat very healthy. But he is just so picky!
    jmgblair10

Comment by jmgblair10 (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I agree, take it all away.  When my first born was little I made the mistake of over feeding him junk food.  They can't eat what you don't allow them to.  My hub pointed it out, we started feeding him healthier foods.  It only took one day of not eating for him to get the idea that he wasn't getting junk anymore.  For us it worked.  Now they can eat junk food without it being ALL they want to eat.  I learned my mistake well with our first one, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:06 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• if there is no junk food, he can't eat it. Sure, he'll probably have tantrums over it for a while, but what can you live with...tantrums for a while, or an obese, malnurished child with cavities, eratic bahvior due to artificial sugars, dyes, and excessive sugars?
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:12 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Take away the junk food.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:19 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Don't have any junk food in the house. Or buy healthier alternatives of the junk food. Veggie chips or puffs instead of chips. Granola bars instead of cookies. Muffins instead of cupcakes. Make chicken nuggets..bake them and fries instead of deep fried. Fresh fruit instead of fruit snacks. Yogurt, applesauce, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:52 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I would try to limit junk food only for an after dinner treat. My girls only get the stuff for snack time in the evening. If the eat things like raisin, pudding, youguat, gronala bars, trail mix, dried cereal, fruit, favored applesauce cups. for lunch or an after school treat. then they earn things like little debbies, cookies, things like that later in the evening. works for us but find what works for you.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 12:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Just stop buying junk food. My parent use to say if you get hungry enough you will eat it. You could have a family or friend that is his age come over and if he see the other kid eating health he might try too. good luck.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 11:10 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• If you only have HEALTHY food in the house, that's all he can eat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Feb. 12, 2011