What do you feed your 18mth old?

My daughter, Amelia, is 17 mths old and isn't super adventurous with food. For bfast it's always eggs & toast & some fruit. She goes to daycare so I pack for her a variety of things. Among them: fruit (banana, mandarin oranges), yogurt, cottage cheese, pbj sandwich, cheerios, apple sauce, string cheese...However, the teachers at daycare are sayign she is having food envy and they think she may be bored with the same old stuff. Then at dinner she usually has chicken, steamed carrots, avocado & some pasta. I don't want to give her pasta for lunch & dinner- just empty calories and no real nutritional value. I have tried to give her turkey chili or stuffed shells but NO. She gets almost angry at it...lol I'm curious..what do you give your child for lunch and dinner? What do you pack for daycare, if they go? I think I would just like to start introducing new things but she always is so unpleased with new things. Any advice/ help/ suggestions are greatly welcomed!

namastenatalie

Asked by namastenatalie at 11:03 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DS has to watch me physically take a bite of his food before he will try it. My son loves beans, any kind, he is just like his dad. We love pasta too, so we have that probably several times a week in some form or fashion, usually for lunch. Contrary to popular belief, pasta is an excellent source of fiber and complex carbohydrates, and it satisfies your hunger longer.We normally use the whole wheat pasta. Yesterday we ate homemade chicken potpie for lunch and chili for supper (my son loves it). I wish I could get my son to eat eggs for breakfast, but we normally eat applesauce and oatmeal, or a banana and peanut butter toast.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:20 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I will second the vote for beans - my son loves them! Green beans, pinto beans, black eyed peas, crowder peas - can't get enough of them. My son also loves turkey sandwiches. He usually takes them apart and eats the bread separately from the turkey, but that's okay! He also loves veggies he can dip - julienned carrots, cucumbers, yellow and red peppers along with some ranch or other veggie dip (I can't stand hummus, but some people love it!). I know you said no pasta, but have you tried mac n cheese mixed with broccoli or other veggies? It can be healthy. My son also loves anything made with eggs - scrambled, omelettes, quiche, french toast, which we eat all times of day. Eggs - it's not just for breakfast!

Answer by missanc at 11:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Thanks, mommy_jules. I always give Amelia multi grain or whole wheat pasta. I just don't' like the idea of just filling her up with bread. I like her to have protein found in chicken or pork. It's funny how they will take it if they see you eat it, isn't it? I'm not sure if she would touch chicken pot pie.....I try to tell her how good the stuffed shells or turkey chili are but NO!!
    namastenatalie

Comment by namastenatalie (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My son eats whatever I eat. For lunch I usually send him to the sitter's with pb&j or tuna fish, mac & cheese, leftover spaghetti or beef stew, cheese sandwiches, soup, whatever I have handy. I accompany that with a yogurt and fruit (apples, banana, avocado, berries of any kind). I also send a snack of a fruit & grain bar or goldfish crackers.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:46 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My DD is very adventurous eater. But I'm confused on why you are sending her meals to daycare. I do daycare MTW and as soon as they are done with baby food it is on me to feed them. Of course I have to follow state guidelines. If you have to send it is going to be harder to offer a variety :(
    momof2cuteboys

Answer by momof2cuteboys at 1:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Thanks, everyone. She does like beans - i have given her black beans, specifically. She always likes to eat those with her fingers. I do give her the Annie's organic Mac & Cheese but I never thought of putting broccoli in- GENIUS!! ha I send her to daycare with lunch because it is required. They don't feed them so if I didn't, she would starve!!!
    namastenatalie

Comment by namastenatalie (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Lunch at daycare: One kind of fruit (nectarines, pears, apples, grapes, kiwi, tomatoes, etc.), and either PB&J, grilled cheese, toasted ham and cheese, french toast (I put a little syrup in the batter to make it less messy), or a spinach omlet. He doesn't always like to use utensils, so I just give him finger foods to make it easier on the teachers incase he's being stubborn that day.

Dinner (varies, but some staples are): spaghetti and turkey meatballs, cheese pizza and steamed carrots, cheese burger with sweet potato fries, meatloaf and potatoes with peas or broccoli, chicken nuggets and veggie/cheese rice, bean and cheese quesidillas with avocados, soup and toast, etc.

He doesn't always like or even try everything on his plate, but that's his choice. He also gets about 2/3 cup of a smoothie before bed, just to round out the day - he loves his smoothies and I love that I can put veggies in there!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:22 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Great ideas, Sebbiemama! I have tried to give her turkey meatloaf, turkey chili, but she doesn't like them. When that happens, I find myself racing around the kitchen to make or find something she will eat.....Should I just leave it in front of her & if she eats it great, if not, no? I'm never sure what to do about that...I don't want her to go to bed hungry either....What do you do?
    namastenatalie

Comment by namastenatalie (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2011