Do you think an Atheist & a Christian can be happily married?

Ok & I'll add this, what about in the raising of your children. Do you think that would conflict anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• If you have 2 people who can honestly be respectful of different beliefs, then yes. If you have one person who thinks they can change the other person's mind, then no.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:08 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• yes i do. i belive that you both have morals and ethics and as a couple you could have very interesting conversations and debates over religon.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:08 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I think the atheist can be but not the Christian. A Christian believes in Heaven and how can you be truely happy in a marriage knowing that when your spouse dies he's going to Hell because he does not believe? The Christian can be happy in the marriage but that sadness would always be there.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:32 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Well my Best Friend has never believed in God, When we used to get drunk together I would always end up talking about it, she never budged. We have never not gotten along because of it, but it could be an issue in a marriage for sure. Especially with raising kids.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 1:46 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Yes
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:07 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• definitely. and i agree with everything marvill said.

my SIL is atheist & i am Christian yet before she did some things i highly disapprove of we got along great. the reason i dislike her now actually has zero to do with her religious beliefs and everything to do with her parenting style. i know its nowhere near the same as marriage, but just giving an example.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:09 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Yes I think so.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:10 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• yup, as long as there is mutual respect and understanding
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:11 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• i believe in God. my husband doesn't.. we coexist just fine
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• The Bible says don't be unevenly yoked. (don't be with a non-christian) It just makes things terrible hard in some instances to be confronted with what life throws at you without having the couple enmeshed and strong in God's love.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Feb. 10, 2011