Hamster or guinea pig?

My three year old wants a pet, but our landlords said they would prefer if we didn't get a dog or cat. So my husband and I are thinking that a hamster (or a similar animal) would be a good pet. But I know hamsters can bite, and they're nocturnal which means my DD won't get to really appreciate it as much. So I've been looking into guinea pigs...they seem more kid-friendly. But I want some opinions...which would make a better pet? And I am not asking for your opinion on whether a three year old is old enough for a pet.

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 11:15 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Pets

• Guinea pigs are so fragile from what I remember of the two I had, but if you think she'll do ok with a guinea pig go for it. I think they prefer the company of others (or it could just be that mine were littermates so they were used to each other), so you might get a pair.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:19 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Guinea pig hands down. My family has owned several while we were growing up and they were great with the younger ones! They are so friendly, and talk to you they also give a warning if they do think of biting which is rare. It's when they click their teeth together.
    They are fun to play with, feed, they get to know you and will talk to you and I think they would be great for your three year old. They are awake during the majority of the day, also when you let them out their poop is very easy to pick up lol. I miss having one around.
    Just do a quick read up, they need fresh veggies daily because their bodies don't produce certain vitamins they need they have to get it from their food.
    Other wise they are great family pets.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 11:20 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• What about a rabbit instead?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I prefer guinea pigs over hamsters. I had both growing up and the guinea pig was more like an actual "pet" - it's big enough to cuddle and you can hand feed them veggies. But the guinea pig actually lived in my brothers room - I think it was nocturnal too? Definitely something to look into!

Answer by missanc at 11:21 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• How about a rat? If you get one as a baby, and handle it a lot they are the ***Perfect*** pet. They are smarter than guinea pigs, do not bite like hamsters do (hamsters are EVIL!), and become little snuggle bugs if they're handled a lot. The one in the picture above is Nissa, one of the newer additions to our little family.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:33 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• This is Zia... Again, they're incredible pets. Best kept in pairs though, because they are highly social, and get lonely without a friend. (sorry my pix are sideways, I can't rotate them on here)

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:35 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Guinea pigs are more gentle. I have raised both and hamster like to bite. Mice are also excellent pets if you get a baby one and play with it alot. with a mouse its cage doesnt get stinky like a quinea pigs. but i loved it when i got up and the "piggies" would squeek at me. They have their own little personalities.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 11:37 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Hamsters,I raised hamsters. I had this one male one I called him soggy. He liked sitting under the dripping faucet in my tub while his bedding was getting changed in his cage. Then I thought,a female for companionship. They had babies,but she ate the babies and him!!!! I got rid of her really fast!! I have years of experience with hamsters. First of all my soggy was the sweetest! I had him for over 4 years! I would take him out and put him in his exercise ball and he would roll around the floors! I have never heard about them being nocturnal. Mine was always up during the day. Basically when I was sleeping he would sleep and while I was at work he would sleep. As soon as he heard the door opening,he was up!!! Hamsters r great pets,but get a male they r very gentle and they never bite!! Let me know what u decide. If u have any questions u can message me.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:54 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• RAT :)
    rats are awesome

and I know you don't want opinions on if 3 yr olds should hve pets- but be aware kids that age can be pretty harsh when handling animals- especially small ones
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• also- do research on food, cages, bedding, if they are better in pairs and things-
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2011