If you've had a c-section

1. What are things you had and used, or wish you had, in your hospital bag?
2. What are things you wish you'd requested of the dr.s( Such as nursing preferences/giving bottle to baby before breast..etc)
3. How long was your hospital stay? (What was hospital policy for c-section stay in your area?)

I'm going for my second c-section, but this one is planned and scheduled. I barely remember the events of my first son's birth because of the shock of having to have an emergency c-section after so carefully planning a natural birth, so this time around, I'm trying to plan ahead a little better :D

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 11:25 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Nightgowns rather than pj pants- I had an infection with my c-section so my stomach was super sensitive and I didn't want any pressure at all on it.
    Make sure they start your antibiotics right away so that you don't end up with an infection...
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 11:27 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• And don't feel bad if you want to take a nap in the recovery room. My c-section was at 2 in the morning, and I was exhausted, so I should have napped, but I didn't want to miss seeing my baby (duh, they would have woken me up, but that didn't occur to me at the time).
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 11:28 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Night gowns are a great thing to take because sometimes its hard to wear pants cuz of your cut. In ohio at good sam they make you stay for 4 days. You pretty much take the same things you would anyother time you go to the hospital to have a kid good luck
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I never thought about nightgowns, Thats a great idea!
    ErinT

Answer by ErinT at 11:34 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• 1. There really wasn't anything I wished that I had except for maybe better food than the hospital food. I brought night gowns and stuff but I ended up wearing the hospital gowns instead. I'm glad I did since I bled all over them.
    2. Mine was a planned c-section, so I had already made all my wishes known. I was able to hold her while they sewed me up and then tried to breastfed as soon as they were done sewing on me.
    3. I went home on the 4th day, a day sooner than I did after my nightmare of a vaginal delivery a few years earlier.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 11:40 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Wow, our stories are nearly identical. My son wound up being an emergency C-section and my daughter was a planned. I liked the hospital gowns because I didn't have to try to pull up any pants, I could just bunch everything up in my lap in the bathroom. I wound up with a terrible reaction from the spinal which translated into a splitting headache whenever I didn't take the meds at the right time. I think I stayed for 4 days, but don't remember as my daughter is now almost 4. I fell asleep while they were sewing me up and don't mind in the least. Overall I had a MUCH better hospital experience with my daughter than my son, mostly because she was in the room with me, and he had to go to the special care nursery.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:59 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Mouth wash and tooth brush were in my bag, small thing of lotion for skin, and various other things... I was stuck in there 3 days!!! So soemthing to entertain yourself!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Make sure you have a nightgown and not pjs. As for the stay, it is usually 3 days. I went in on Monday and came home Wednesday. I could have stayed another day if I wanted, but the hospital put me in the smallest of the maternity rooms. I told my nurse that I did not want the baby to have a bottle. Poor baby did have to wait til I could really move again. Also make sure you have something to read or play. Unless you have visitors coming in all day, you are going to need some entertainment.
    momma2grlz

Answer by momma2grlz at 12:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Was in the hospital for 4 days. Think I went home on the 4th day. I liked having my own clothes there. I used the Target nursing tank tops instead of wearing a bra. I took some DVD's to watch at night. I also took my own underwear. I couldn't stand wearing those net panty things they give you.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I am in the same boat as you.i loved the boppy thing when I fed my baby.I am gonna have some soft clothes so it doesnt mess with my belly to much.My hubby was and is a big help , maybe make sure you have someone to help you the first few days.
    IloveJesus316

Answer by IloveJesus316 at 6:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2011