• In the Spotlight:

Boiled soup bones

How long should I boil a soup bone to give to my dog?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Pets

• Do not boil the bones, if you feed your dog bones, feed them raw. Anon is correct, the cooked bones are not safe.

In truth, there are many competent veterinarians who encourage their clients to feed a healthy diet that includes raw bones. Furthermore, these veterinarians are not lining their pockets from kickbacks. There are certain commerical food companies that often pay veterinarians, or provide free feed their kennel dogs in order to have the vets promote their inferior commercial kibble product to their pet owner clients even though that is full of chemicals, grains and by-products.

I would be concerned if my vet was not aware of the benefits of a natural diet and raw bones.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 5:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Do not give cooked bones to your dog., They're more likely to splinter and become a choking hazard. If you want to give a bone to your dog make sure it is raw.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• When I have cooked the soup marrow bones I have only done it for about 15- 20 minutes but frankly I prefer to give them uncooked in the crate because there is less of a mess or I will just get soup marrow bones from the pet store.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:27 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Out of my 12 years working with veterinarians i have never heard a vet say someone should feed their pet bones.

BAD IDEA.

Are you willing to take the risk of premature death- go for it!
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 5:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2011