Are you content to continue renting? Or do you feel the need to buy your own house?

I am content to rent, my husband is obsessed with buying. I just think that it is nice to not have to worry about fixing anything.

What about you? And why do you feel that way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I was not content to continue renting and we bought a house. You do have to fix things, but also at the end of 20 -30 years you will actually own something of value instead of having just thrown your money away. Also, our mortgage is less than it would be to rent a comparable size house so if we saved the difference between what rent would cost and what our mortgage is, it's more than enough to cover the things that break/wear out. Plus, I like knowing I can do whatever I want with the decor - new carpet/hardwoods, paint, build ins, etc.

Answer by missanc at 12:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I think I would have been content with renting if we could have saved some money at the same time...
    But I'm happy we bought a house (just a couple weeks ago!). An investment, ya know? Although heaven knows we'll have a $300,000 home when the interest is all paid in 30 years! Whatta deal.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 12:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I am content. We're just simply not interested in buying a house at this moment. we almost did buy a house, we could afford it....but we weren't ready to make that commitment yet,so we changed our mind. I sometimes bitch about it, but DH says he is not ready. He is wanting to build a house in a like 5 years he says, but finding the perfect plot is hard. Plus, i don't want to move out of the city. You don't get much land for your dollar in big, busy cities. We rent a nice big house in the inner cuty (the nice part) & are really enjoying it right how, it suits us.

. So, we've decided to keep on renting & Save more money. We've even talked about just renting forever, it really has it's advantages. Like when our basement flooded....landlord fixed it....LOL.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I was content to continue renting as well, butI couldn't get over throwing our money away every month. We are currently looking for a place of our own and a place we can call home. We decided to take advantage of this market and I will be so happy when we find our home!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 12:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I don't consider renting to be throwing money away. Especially when people pay mortgages for 30+ years with crazy interest. They end up paying so much more for their house. AND, a huge percentage of people only pay the monthly interest and never actually put money forth to paying off their house. They refinance & then add another 30 year mortgage on top of everything. That does not sound like freedom to me. Which is why we're deciding to buy a plot of land & build our own house i a few years. It's so much cheaper in the long run & so much more worth the money spent.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:27 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Owning is never truly owning ebcause you will always be paying for it to someone?!?! Such as if you own the house out right... there are taxes forever! Than there are places with housing associations/fees! And even if you never have a child, part of your taxes help pay for the school you never use... or the fact immentent domain means they can snatch you house for what they see as a better investment than your house???

Even knowing the reality of buying doesn't mean you ever truly own... I still want to buy a house, and with next wave of foreclosures coming through, it'll be even cheaper! Right now buying a house, the mortgage is cheaper than rent... that is reality!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Both my partner and I are fixers. We like to fix things that are ours. We like to make things ours. So renting is bugging the hell out of me and its starting to get to him, the problem is that we don't have enough saved for a down payment. But we are paying more to rent than we would to own. It's a horrible cycle to try to get out of.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:35 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• The only reason we haven't bought a house is because hubby's in the military and we not going to stay here. I'd much rather buy a house and be putting money towards something instead of just throwing that money away every month. Even though we'd have to fix everything ourselves, I'm used to that and hubby can do almost anything that I can't handle myself. What we're probably going to do after he gets out of the military is build our house.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I'm a renter. Home ownership has never been a desire or even an interest of mine, and most likely never will be. (seeing that I'm almost 50 already.. lol)...
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• We own and rent. We have been relocated 2 in the last 2.5 years, and this last time we just decided to rent in the new locale. We also maintain a home about 400 miles away where our college- aged kids are/were living.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2011