• In the Spotlight:

Does a military homecoming warrant an absence from school?

So, my husband is supposed to be home this weekend from Iraq!!!! Yay! Well, one of the times, as of right now, that he could be coming home would be almost midnight going into a Monday. My son, his stepson, will be attending the welcome home ceremony. Would you try to get as much sleep before and after the ceremony, or would you let him stay home Monday? Iwill be going back to work Monday morning, but I know how to function on very little sleep. His staying home and missing it is not an option because he would be very upset and other family members will be there who would normally watch him. I just hate for him to have an unexcused absence, but I think this kinda warrants it.... Thanks for the feedback!

mommystiebler

Asked by mommystiebler at 1:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would let him stay home from school. It is absolutely a good reason to miss school. If he has had perfect attendance and is trying to continue it (I know some schools give out awards for it), then leave it up to him if he wants to go to school the next day or not, though. That could also be some good bonding time between him and your husband while you are at work. You must be so excited!! No matter what you decide about your son, tell your Husband Welcome Home and Thank You from all of us over here!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Hell Yes he should stay home!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 1:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I would let him stay home!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• if it were me, I'd keep him out of school! it's been so long since his daddy was home, even if you sent him to school, I doubt he'd be paying attention :)
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• not at our skool not any more if your children have a doc appointment now you have to bring a letter from the doctor letting the skool no they were there or it is an illeagal absence i would let him stay home dont tell them the reason just say he is sick. its crazy that our kids can't be there for the moment when there mother or fathr come home from serving our country and not have to deal with the principal let him stay home talke the unexcused absence and god bless your husband
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• He definately should stay home for it. A loved one coming back from Iraq IS an excused absense. Any teacher/principal would understand that. And if not, YOU are the parent. Ultimately it is YOUR choice, not the schools. God Bless your husband!!!! Thanks to him for all that he has done to protect our country!!!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Absolutely! Talk to the school. It shouldn't be a problem!
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 2:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• You bet. And it isn't an unexcused absence. It is an excused absence for urgent family business. PERIOD.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Thanks for all the answers. I actually checked the school attendance policy and there is a provision regarding the leave of a family member who is military! I'll check with the school and see how this affects it being a step parent
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 3:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2008