How do you discipline your child/children

My son is only 7 months so of coarse im not there yet but at what age do you start and what are your methods?

BabyBoi7-8-2010

Asked by BabyBoi7-8-2010 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• U can start at 4. They should be able to understand right from wrong.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:27 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• We started at about 18 months with Time Outs, but never spanking or hitting. He will be 3 tomorrow and I just have to give him look and he says I'm sorry mommy, I don't want to go to time out.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 12:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• The second they need to be diciplined is the second that you should start. If they're rolling around, crawling, or even walking and getting into trouble then it's time to start. If they're pulling hair, pinching, screaming (for fun), etc then you need to start. A child doesn't have to be a certain age to understand "No" and punishments. My kids are proof of that, my sisters and I are proof of that. My parents, myself, my little sister, and most of the parents I know start punishments the second that the child needs to be punished. That can be from a few months old to a year old depending on the child. Every negative action should be reprimanded. Regardless of age.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I started just after 12 months with time outs because that is when my DD started her hitting phase. Her time outs would last one minute. Prior to that she would get disciplined by losing my attention (briefly) for doing something like biting. If she bit me I would say "Ouch" loudly and put her down and walk away for a minute. Now she is two and I use warnings and then time outs, and I also count to three a lot to give her time to change her action before she gets a time out which is very effective. And I try to give her a lot of choices throughout the day so she feels she has some control, i.e. turkey or meatloaf for dinner, these pants or those pants, do you want to walk to your room or should I carry you, etc. Before she was about 18 mos I didn't expect a lot as far as her learning not to get into things- if she got into something I should have been watching more closely or removed the item from her path.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• We didn't spank. When they were little we used time outs for 'major' infractions like hitting or destruction of property... as they got older, they got to monitor their own time outs (ie. if one was pitching a fit I would say "If you are going to do that, you need to go and do it in your room- come out when you're done.") We really rarely have to give time outs, though my son does get sent to him room to cool off sometimes when he gets angry. He can come out when he's calmed down. Now that they are getting bigger we use withdrawal of things they like... no video games for a week seems to be a good motivator!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:03 PM on Feb. 10, 2011