When you're low on money and food...

Just wondering who else does this:
We're not going to have any money until Tuesday, and we are almost out of food completely. When I make dinner, I give the majority of it to my roommate - he's not exactly a small guy and he can eat a lot. Like last night, he had three grilled cheese sandwiches, and about 3/4 of the potatoes I made - I had one sandwich and a handful of the potatoes. He's the one that pays for the food, as I'm not working at the moment, and I feel guilty filling up when there's just not enough... so I never do. I eat enough to keep me from being hungry, but I'm never even close to satisfied. We keep running out of food because he wants to be full every day... I don't want to point out that I'm making a sarcrifice by hardly eating at all!
I did the same when I was with my ex. He didn't understand how little food we actually had, so I would give him the majority of the dinner I would cook, give my son enough for him, and then I would hardly eat anything myself.

Does anyone else make that kind of sacrifice? Making sure you're SO and kids are getting enough to eat, while you aren't?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 1:03 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Girl we have been there! We are on food stamps but they only give us around 400 fo 8 people. Now that the girls are in school and need 2 snacks a day I havent been able to make them stretch!
    taraniccole

Answer by taraniccole at 7:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Please don't take this the wrong way, as I'm not being rude. However, I would never let things get that bad. If they were, I would go get a job. You should not have to ration food that way. That's no way to live.
    danalee11

Answer by danalee11 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• There was a period of time when my son was 18 months and my ex had just started a new job that I went down to eating one meal/day so my son could have three meals and snacks. I think it's part of being a mom. That said, at the time we would have more than qualified for WIC and food stamps - I just didn't know it!

Answer by missanc at 1:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Sounds like you need to have a talk with your roommate and see if you can come up with a solution.

One thing to sacrifice for your child another for a grown man, both have to gave a little.

Can you baby sit until you can find another job?
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Oh, I should've added that things don't normally get this bad. My roommate works two jobs (he doesn't have to, he gets bored) and normally his paydays land in between each other, but this time they didn't and he had to go longer in between. I just ran out of money from my last job a week or two ago - I have only been unemployed for a month and I have just not had any luck finding anything new, it's not that I'm not looking. Circumstances just got us this way.
    With my ex, he was spending money on smokes and beer, and that's why we didn't have what we needed - one of the many reasons he's now my ex.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I should've also added that my son doesn't live with me. He lives with his dad (who can afford groceries now, don't worry) and he is at my dad's house during the day - he eats VERY well.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Oh that reminds me! I'm in Canada, so we don't have WIC and food stamps and stuff. Because I don't have my son living with me, I can work, and I didn't work my last job long enough (it was just a Christmas job), I can't qualify for financial help from the government. :)
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I can't baby sit for reasons I won't get into. I applied for employment insurance but I have to wait on that. We do what we can...right now we're in a very rare bad place.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• try a food pantry, and when you do get money, try to take at least $1o to buy emergency foods that you wont touch unless you get in this situation again. I have several bags of beans and packs of cornbread ofr lean times, makes a good filling meal for your roomie too. You can cook a huge pot of beans for under $1 and a pack of cornbread is under a dollar, Grilled cheese is expensive, believe it or not, you can mak a huge pot of beans for what those three sandwiches cost and BOTH of you will be full
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 8:26 AM on Feb. 11, 2011