Mom?

Do you allow your child to call someone else (not related to them, for example a friend's mom or one of your friends) "mom"? Do you alow your kid's friends to call you "mom"?

cecyh9

Asked by cecyh9 at 1:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's never come up. I don't think I'd really be comfortable with my kids' friends calling me mom. I've got enough kids lol.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• No way. My kiddos have only one mom so they will not be calling another woman mom. I wouldn't want their friends calling me mom and risk hurting the mom's feelings or making her angry.
    ConcernedMom141

Answer by ConcernedMom141 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• no,they call me Mrs J.....
    My son calls them either Ms or by their 1st name if they don't mind

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I did it as a child... my best friend's mom was just like a mom to me, my bio got jealous, so I started to call her "Pat Mom" in front of mine...

With my kids, if they feel close enough to another woman to call her "mom", I would see it as a blessing, and wouldn't bother me at all...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• No they call me Aaron or Noel's mommy it erks my nerves the children I sit try & call me mom I juat tell them I am not there mother I am the sitter
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 1:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Your ex-SIL's friend is a little weird. As a grown woman I called my Mother-In-Law mom when speaking to her. She was 41 years older than me and I just couldn't picture calling her by her first name. Now talking about her she was more likely to be "grandma" or "your mom" rather than just "mom." So the reality is my children may call another woman "mom" some day, but it's okay. That woman will have earned the title by raising a hopefully wonderful son or daughter-in-law.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I would feel akward if another child called me mom. I use Aunt and Uncle for others that are close. My mil tried using Mom when my dd was an infant and I hit the roof!
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 3:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I'd feel weird about that. My DD is two so it hasn't really come up yet but I don't think I would care for it if she called someone else Mom, and I think if another kid called me mom I would feel bad for his/her mom's feelings. I don't call my MIL Mom. I mean, I do love her and all but I feel that would somehow be disrespectful to my own mother. You only get one mom in life, but I guess if someone is lucky enough to feel that closeness to another who is not their mother than that is a blessing no matter what they choose to call that person. Mother is a title I cherish so I guess it's purely selfish that I want to keep it to myself.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Thanks for the answers .... My child does not call anyone else but me "mom". She has never had a desire to do so. Her friends always call me "Priscilla's mom", but my ex-sister-in-law does allow it. It is a bestfriend of hers and this woman leaves my nephews (both teenagers) authoritive comments and advice on their pages. A couple of weeks ago my youngest nephew did something he shouldn't have and she wrote on his page "Your mom and I are disappointed in you, but we forgive you." She went on to bash my brother and told him his father can easily be replaced by another man. The way she says things, makes me feel like she over stepps her friendship. I just feel like "Mom" is a title earned. It's hard to explain, I just know I wouldn't want my child calling someone else "mom". I earned that title by standing by her through thick and thin, from the moment I found I was pregnant to this day. 12 years now.
    cecyh9

Comment by cecyh9 (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• That has never come up, and I think it would weird me out unless it was a friend who didn't have a mom and who was really close friends with our family. My kids better never call another woman "mom". Their friends usually just say "Hi, Jacob's mom!"
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2011