How long til you left your baby overnight with someone?

With the Valentines approaching my husband wants to go out of town for the night. My baby is 9 months old but I have not spent one night away from her. Any ideas for overcoming the anxiety of leaving her. I know she will be in good hands with her grandma but I am still nervous.

momma2grlz

Asked by momma2grlz at 1:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is no perfect age and it is always harder on the mom than on anyone else involved. I will just tell you that I think it is a good idea to start leaving them while they are young, because you never know when you may have some kind of an emergency to come up that would demand you leave them. It is far better to have them accustomed to being away from you and it's also far easier on the person who would be left taking care of them. We are right now keeping our grandsons, ages 2 1/2 years and 5 months, because their parents had to go out of town in a snowstorm to attend a funeral. Neither one of them has missed a beat because they are used to us and we are used to them, we know their routines, and have kept them on their schedules. Our daughter cried when she left them, and she has called home several times to check on all of us, but she knows it was best not to take them with her.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My baby is 5 months old, and I'm leaving him overnight tomorrow night with his grandma for the first time.
    I'm nervous, but I keep reminding myself that she loves him, she's good with him, and she has two kids that made it out alive, so she must know what she's doing :)
    I know I'll probably be texting her all night checking in....
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 1:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My oldest was 4months old, I worked midnight and didn't have a choice.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:11 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Try to have fun but know it's perfectly normal to call and check on her as often as you like.
    ConcernedMom141

Answer by ConcernedMom141 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• With my ds, he was 6 months old. And my dd has never been overnight with anyone and she is 17 months
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• If i remember correctly he has slept over night once and that was around...a year old. I was constantly nervous but i knew he was in good hands with his aunt and uncle and his two nephews. I kept saying to myself he is in a nice safe warm house, they have every possible number available to reach us, emergency personnel, they know CPR and First aid, plus two young boys who are healthy and and happy. I still thought of them but she was nice enough to send me pictures every once in awhile throughout the evening of my son and we sent pictures to them for them to show our son and that kept everyone happy. Being a parent i have found out, even when you do get that break you have been longing for, you can never truly relax without any thoughts because your babies will always be popping up in your mind. So take it as it comes and relax when you can and if those thoughts pop up, turn them into thinking about memories instead of worries
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 1:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• oh we did that way before 9 months. about one month when she spent the night over her grandparents.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• my son was one month old. i know it sounds crazy but that time in my life was crazy! But my daughter is almost 8 months old and has never been kept overnight. Barely babysat!!!
    Tiffany_Rivera_

Answer by Tiffany_Rivera_ at 1:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• 17 months with the first because I was having the second. The second was 19 months when we had our third and I have yet to leave my youngest who is now 3. It makes me too anxious. It might be different if we lived near family but since we don't it just has not happened. When it does it is going to be a big thing, much bigger than it should be.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I let my oldest son stay at my sister's house once when he was 3 years old. Other than that, I have never let them stay overnight with anyone. The only time I've been away from them overnight besides that once was when I was in the hospital.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:35 PM on Feb. 10, 2011