Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

MIL question?

My FMIL moved in with me and my fiancé when we first purchased our house and when she moved in agreed she would pay the gas and electric (about $300-sorta like rent) every month and we would cover all the rest of the bills. She had the master bedroom, we let her bring all of her furniture and held off on buying our on and put what we had in the basement so she wouldn't have to leave it behind in the divorce. She agreed up until she got livid with us one night and called the cops. They told her she was out of place and that she needed to calm down. She got pissed and moved out abruptly taking her furniture and even furniture and things that weren't hers. She left her clothes and some furniture behind telling us she'd be back to get it (its been a month now) when she finds somewhere to store it. She said the bills (electric and gas) were our problem and she wanted them out of her name or she would disconnect them and we'd be without. We have to pay connection fees and deposits to get service in our name. When she moved in she agreed to pay these bills now because shes mad she wants to walk out and leave scot free. We already have to pay $300 in connection fees with the bills thats $650. Plus our mortgage, car notes and everything else we have. Should we just front the money or let her get the bills when they disconnect it. We really dont have it and we had an agreement with her and she bailed. The bills (electric and gas) were in her name because she was responsible for them. Whats the right thing to do. She's been really nasty to us since leaving, broke a lot of my dishes, put holes in the walls and scratched up our floors. She still has a key and comes and goes as she pleases. We dont want to be nasty to her because she's his mom but this is out of wack to me.

Answer Question

Asked by thelovelymzbre at 1:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Relationships

Level 13 (1,326 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Change the locks 1st thing and yes I would let her get the bills and do the disconnect if they were in her name. She agreed and now you have damage to fix. Good Luck and I hope things work out in the end. She'll be your MIL a long time I'm sure that's why it's not a great idea to have family move in or loan them money, cars etc.

    Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 1:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • if they are in her name she is responsible for them. i would also change the locks asap. I am sorry you all are going through this. i buy groceries for our home , and was babysitting my husband nephew almost 24-7 and he was a nightmare so i did not put much money into the house but groceries were about 500-600 a month for me). now that nephew is gone i took over the light bill as i cannot afford the propane bill. And our grocery bill has went down a lot. because now we have more leftovers.

    Answer by WildCat73 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • I would change the locks. And let her get the bills, if they are inher name, have them switched to you so she cannot shut them off. Good luck dealing with that one.

    Answer by Rachel24517 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • I would change the locks, take pictures of all the damages she did and I would threaten to sue her! I would also tell her that she has X days to come and get her crap out of the house or it will be given to goodwill! I would also switch the bills out of her name (so she can't disconnect and leave you w/o).

    Answer by MizLee at 1:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • she is responsible for the bills. let her take care of them. rid yourself of anything that is related to her. the gas and electric company sure would just put the connection fees into your monthly bills. if you can't pay all thats due when it's due just pay what you can. meanwhile if you really need help paying your bills. fix the place up get rid of all her stuff and get a real roomate. ask them for $300 a month but keep everything in your name so that you don't have this issue rise up again. i can't believe that a mil would act this way. mine would be embarassed.

    Answer by melody77 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • First change the locks.Get the electric in your name, but make her pay for the bill that in her name. She might be mean and turn your electric with out letting you know. Good Luck.


    Answer by HomeAlone45 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • change the locks and sell her shit for whatever u can get

    Answer by cnoble927 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • we actually didnt need a roommate. Her husband and her got a divorce and we were nice enough to take her in. Im going to give her this weekend to get her things and Im setting it out. THanks ladies.

    Comment by thelovelymzbre (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • change the locks asap...

    Answer by smiley745 at 5:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.