Did you buy Heelys for your child(ren)?

My 7-yr old talked me into it and I see a lot of children wearing them. I'm so afraid that he is going to have a bad fall. Are they safe enough? I'm taking him to the park with his helmet and his guards but I wanted to know from other moms. Thanks

Avon_Calling

Asked by Avon_Calling at 2:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter say's the only time you have to worry about falling down is if you go down a big hill to fast. Otherwise the only thing you have to do is put your feet down.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My kids aren't old enough but if they were they'd have strict rules on where it was ok to wear them. I can't stand going into the store to get my shopping done and having kids roll past us...they automatically have it in their heads that they have the right-of-way and I find it rude, lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• NO. And while we are on the subject. Do NOT let your kids wear those DAMN things in stores. We have had so many accidents in our store due to stupid parents letting thier kids wear heelies in our wherehouse store. Ususally it is OTHER people who end up hurt. Makes so mad. If you only knew. One time I had to call an ambulance due to an elderly person being run into by a kid with heelies on, she fell and broke her hip. Of course WE were sued. It says right on our entrance and repeatedly over the speakers, NO HEELIES in the store.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Hell no! My 7 yo at the time wanted some, never bought them. IT is so disrespectful and rude to see kids in the stores go skating by ..much less dangerous! Could be a lawsuit waiting to happen.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Right ON SusieD250!! I have been knocked down TWICE due to kids in stores in Heeelys. My grandson recieved nine stiches in the back of his head at 3 years old due to a kid coming around a corner in a store and knocked him out of my arms when he ran into us and he fell. All parents with kids with these 'shoes' should ALWAYS MAKE THERM RETRACT THE WHEELS BEFORE ENTERING A STORE!.
    For the O.P.:
    I honestly don't have an issue with heelys as long as protective gear is worn and they are not being used in stores. In the park..great, On the sidewalk..great. Just make sure she knows the rules and you enforce them.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Oh I cannot stand seeing kids cruise by in the stores. I only plan to take him to the lake nearby where he has a narrow trail surrounded by grass. If he falls, he can fall on the grass. And yes, he's wearing all the guards and the helmet and I might put some charmin in his pants (j/k).
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 2:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• There would be rules as to when they could use them........

but to go of the store issue-I am not affraid to stand my ground and knock the little brats on their butts!-lol........if their parents dont like that tough!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• No, my kids are too little. But I'm still ticked off at my husband because he won't let me have them, says there's not enough liability insurance in the world....
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• It's ironic that you ask this question because we JUST bought them for our ten year old DS. He loves them and IMO, as long as they're careful, they'll be OK because accidents can happen anywhere and anytime even when they're being careful. And as far as in the store, my son has worn them in the store, but he knows the rules. Watch where you're going and if the area of the store we're in or the store itself is too crowded, he walks. JMO

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Ditto to the ones complaining about kids using them in the store... I keep hoping to see the kids completely wipe out - no luck so far.
    Anonymous