Worried......very worried!!

I recently went back to work and had to get a private daycare provider becuase the corporate ones were too expensive. I take my two daughters, 18 mos. and 6 mos., there and lately my 18 mo old has been exhibiting some worrysome behavior, when she is reprimanded she grabs a clump of her hair and pulls it HARD until she screams and won't let go.....then she has been carrying around her "babies" (dolls) and proceeds to hit them in the face over and over again....I'm scared because they are too young to tell me what this sitter is doing, IF anything and I'm beginning to wonder what might be going on....maybe I am over reacting but this scares me! Any advice?
Yes, I checker her out, background and references etc. and she has an early childhood education not that that matters......

Liz30355

Asked by Liz30355 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Even though your daughter is young, she can communicate with you if asked the right questions. " I see you are hitting your babies in the head." Sometimes just saying this, will bring on a whole conversation. I would not ask her directly if the sitter is abusing her, because sometimes kids give false answers based on what they believe the adult wants to hear. Honestly, I bet that there are other child in the daycare that behave in this way, and they probably get the most attention. Children imitate other kids, especially if the other child is getting alot of attention, even if its negative. I would stop by the home or center, at a random time...just to check in. Watch the behavior of the children, as well as the providers. Also, talking to your daughter about not hurting her body, and using other ways to express frustration is a really good idea right now so this doesnt go to far.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 9:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• There may be another child in her daycare that is exhibiting this kind of behavior if you have never seen similiar episodes before.
    sabianmom

Answer by sabianmom at 1:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• i would be worried to. have you spoke to the daycare provider? are your children the only ones or are there other children that go this provider? if i were you i would start making surprise visits as a parent you have every right to pop in or call unexpectly to check on the welfare of your children.
    tanper29

Answer by tanper29 at 1:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I would be worried too they are seeing it somewhere rather it's from the sitter or on television just sit her down and talk to her read he body language see how she responds when it is brought up good luck

ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 1:27 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Nanny cam!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• yikes. i would just switch nannies. what good will talking to the nanny do? if she's doing something wrong, she'll deny it. and your kids are too young to tell you what's going on. i wouldn't take any chances anymore. it might be inconvenient, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 1:05 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• trust me from experience...just go with your instincts...don't question yourself...get your babies out of there.

MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:58 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• i would recommend the same thing, try and find a way to communicate with her, i don't think that kind of behavior is normal espcially since she is still too young to come up withthis things on her own. Hope you resolve this issue, good luck.
    ianna

Answer by ianna at 1:40 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Nanny cam if you want to take a chance of her hurting your child again, but I would say this is being done to her.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• DFCS offers childcare assistance to help you put them in a daycare center.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2011