Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the best tax software to buy?

What are the benefit of it?

How much does it cost to submit your taxes to the IRS?

What should I know about it or others?

How do you know if something was not done properly?

How do you get child care credit if you do your own?

I usually get mine done through H&R Block, but I would like to start doing my own. :)



Asked by Memigen at 1:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 27 (30,799 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • I use Turbo Tax online, so I didn't buy and install any software. The thing I like most, especially as a first timer is that you don't pay until you are done.

    They check for errors twice before they submit it, so as long as you are careful about the info you provided, you should be fine.

    The child care tax credit, as wells as the homeowners credits, are all available through turbo tax.

    If you don't own a home or business, the basic should be fine, if you do own a home or made donations or have medical expenses that are more than 7 percent of your income, do the deluxe.

    You can always upgrade before you pay if you don't see deductions that you should have gotten.

    If you do the basic, free edition you don't pay anything, even to e-file. The deluxe is $30. To do a state e-file is $37 per state.

    Answer by twin_mommy at 1:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • I do mine through Turbo Tax online. It will take you step by step through the entire process. It is free to submit your federal taxes but there is a cost to file state taxes. It won't let you make a mistake because it checks everything for you and even gives you a ranking on the likelihood of being audited.

    Answer by MChildressDem at 1:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • Oh sweet! I thought you had to buy the software!

    Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • I liked H&R block online. The federal was free, and the state costs $30 I think.

    Answer by EverydayMomma at 1:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • Turbo Tax

    Answer by tasches at 7:03 PM on Feb. 10, 2011