Isnt it illegal for a Landlord to raise your rent without a 30 day notice?

WE are on a Month to Month lease so all the old policies still apply on that lease. Well he now just gave us notice that we have to sign a new lease at $100 more per month. Our due date used to be the 5th now he moved it up to the 1st. My husband tried to tell him that since he requires a 60 day notice to move he needs to give us more time to adjust our budget as well. He said fine but if he allows that (as if we are less than him) we have to pay $125 more per month. He says the market rate is more on this street..(not to mention my $450 electric bill for this month) We are in a duplex. Were do I go in TX online to find out my rights?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You are on a month to month lease. He can change the amount of the lease if he sees fit. That is the down side of the month to month.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Check online, there may be an online legal service in your state.
    Linda1012

Answer by Linda1012 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Look in your yellow pages under local government. Should be one for Renters rights.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 1:40 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I'd just move rather than put up with his bullshit. What if he tries this again?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• It's not illegal here, unless you're under a long term lease. But since you go month to month I don't think it would be illegal there either.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I would think you would at least get the courtesy of a 30-day notice. Find the organization in your area that oversees renter's rights.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• might differ from state to state
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Having a month to month lease, means you're not "locked into" a real lease agreement. So your landlord can do whatever he wants! He could even evict you next month if he so chooses! Maybe he wants to end the month to month agreement in favor of a year-to year tenant which is why he is increasing the rent, in the hopes you will move?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:19 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Tenant laws vary by state. You will have to check with your local housing authority to find out.
    looselylucid

Answer by looselylucid at 10:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2011