Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 Bumps

Adopting my friends child who was born in mexico

She was 7 when she first came to America, she's 17 years old right now, is there anyway i can adopt her so she can stay in the U S go to a good collage and have a good future, or is there any other choices she might have to be able to get her citizenship

Answer Question

Asked by bella_51525 at 1:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Adoption

Level 2 (8 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • if her parents are willing to let you, or she could apply for a visa, i think they have special ones for students.

    Answer by itzmyzoo at 1:52 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • i am not sure how to answer this hun but good luck hope it works out for the both of you :D and i will bump for ya to

    Answer by WildCat73 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • Yep student visas. That's what I was thinking too.


    Answer by myree85 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • Honestly, your best bet is talking to an immigration attorney. We're going through the process right now of getting my husband a green card and it's quite complicated if you try to do all the paperwork yourself. Also, if she's in the States legally or illegally, that will make a big difference. If she doesn't have a visa or green card already, you're going to come across some problems and they could make her go back to Mexico until her paperwork is completed. Lots of luck and hope everything goes smooth for you.

    Answer by Nanixh at 2:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • It is not a simple answer, because she is not a US citizen. It might be possible if she were to move back to her home country and you did an international adoption. But, I don't know the laws involved in an international adoption. Like someone said, contact an immigration attorney.

    Answer by hollyanne31 at 11:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • You should talk to an immigration attorney. They can help you get her in the USA legally.


    Answer by HomeAlone45 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.