Are all girl hard to get started on baby cereal/foods?

my girl is 6 months and one week & gags everytime i try to feed her baby cereal or baby foods. The doctor wanted me to start her at 4 month but i told him she just has no interest so he said by 6 months have her started. So i have been trying and she just doesnt like anything!! On the other hand my boy who is now alot older had no problem at all. He was a garbage disposal, still is, he eats anything and everything since he was 2 months old! Is there any tips that could help me out with my little girl?Please share your opinions or experiences! Thank you ahead of time!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would talk to them about why she is gagging. it may be something as simple as she does not like the taste or something else. my dd hated veggies except carrots when she was introduced to it. to get her to eat baby cereal i would add jar of fruit to it to help
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• It's definately not a girl thing, my girl LOVED to eat from her very first bite of banana around 5 months old. I had more trouble with my son. But, there is no reason why she needs to be eating food at this point. I would just keep offering it to her, she might end up liking it more in a few months when you start table food.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• maybe she has texture issues? she might do better when she eats table foods instead of the yucky pureed stuff.

have you tried making it at home? you can make your own babyfood if you have a blender or food processor, just make sure everything is cooked first & peeled if applicable, and use little to no seasoning. she might like it better that way.

and if not, thats okay too. all she needs until 12 months is breastmilk or formula anyway.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:57 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Have you tried adding alittle at a time to her bottle? Every few days make it alittle thicker so she gets used to thicker texture and feeling. Also start spoon feeding her a thinner mixture and making it thicker every 3 or 4 days.

If the gagging continues I would def. talk with doctor about it.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 1:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• i would start with plain rice cereal. If she's gagging when you give her mush, add some to her formula instead. That's how I used to get my DD started on cereal. At 6 months I started adding some cereal to her formula. I had to enlarge the hole in the nipple of her bottle for it to pass, but she got used to it quickly and then moved on to stage 1 foods at about 7 - 8 months.
    Do not mix other foods with the formula. I suggest only doing this with cereal. When you get her started on yogurt, add the cereal to the yogurt. But try to cereal in the bottle first.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 1:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• my daughter hated the regular baby food so we started buying organic baby food...which is actually cheaper and she loves it. she eats like a champ. try the pouch of mango,pear, and spinach. sounds like a weird combination but ik my daughter loves it and she gets her fruits and veggies in one pouch
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Babies do not need the nutrition from food for the first year as long as they are breast or formula fed. In the first year it is only to get them ready for table foods. If she is gagging, wait a month or two. After that there might be some reason for concern, but not until 8 or so months. Babies do things at different ages. Just relax and try a gain in a few weeks.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:07 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I would say she's probably not quite ready yet. You can put it on hold for another few weeks, and try introducing some soft, small finger foods when the time comes. You could try that now if you want. 6 months isn't too young for her to self feed. Banana, avocado and sweet potato are good starter foods to try if you'd like.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• See, my Son (now 2) and daughter (now 1) were the opposite of your children. My son took a lot longer to get adjusted to the pureed foods and especially to the solid foods. Whereas my daughter is a garbage disposal and will consume just about anything. My daughter had no issues, aside from gagging on some solid food, adjusting. Even when she did gag she'd just try again. Whereas my son would push it aside and refuse to eat the second he gagged on anything.

Not all infants/children like the cereal and pureed foods. My suggestion is to start her on solid foods and see if she'll like them better. Things such as soft breads, soft fruits, soft veggies (steamed to make them softer), and things of that nature. It could be that it's not that she's having trouble eating, but that she just doesn't like the taste of what you're feeding her.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• It sounds like she is not quite ready for solids. Not all babies are at only 6 months.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2011