Talking and speech therapy

My son is 16 months. We took him to his well baby check up and the pediatrician was concerned because he can only say mama and dada, so he recommened speech therapy. I guess I'm just wondering what I can expect, and if there is anything I can do at home to help. Thanks!

okgurl87

Asked by okgurl87 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is also in speech therapy he is four now though, Music helps, and just having him repeat things that you say there is allot you can do look it up online but the therapy definitely helps my son is a totally different person and its better to catch it and deal with it now instead of later.

ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 2:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I wouldn't get too worked up. My kids talked very late and there is nothing wrong at 12 and 14. They are both in the gifted program at their school. If your insurance will cover it, make the appointment with the therapist. It certainly won't hurt anything. I think the best thing you can do at home is encourage him to talk. If he gestures, pretend you don't understand. Only give him what he wants if he verbalizes. Is he your only child? I bet you understand his wants very well and he doesn't feel a need to talk. Make him think he needs too.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 2:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• yes , it will help , DO IT , they will tell you things at home to do with your kid , there are many things they will do in the sessions and it varies - you can sit in usually , and it may lead to other evaluations for other therapies.
    1st they will do an eval , then go over it with you , then start appt's
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Do you have a good pediatrician? I mean I know many children who started to speak when they were 4 years old. And 16-month-old is the age of toddler groups in nursery. There are some children who start to talk early and there are some who wait until they have something to say. Don't worry. He will start to speak when he will be ready. If he has something else illness than you can take him to a speech therapist. But I wouldn't worry too much about it:)

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 2:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• If your therapist is like ours was, it will look more like play then lessons. Your ST will give you ways to encourage more speech by your child, too. My son's sessions ranged from 20-45 minutes, depending on how he was. Some days, they'd sit at the table for more focused sessions, but only for a little while and they'd move when my son tired of it. The "testing" part that was required was a little tedious (what toddler sits still and 'talks' about a flip board for 30-45 minutes?), but my son really enjoyed it. He "graduated" about a year ago and will still occasionally talk about "Mr. Adam". My son was about that age when he started.

Great job, Mom, for getting this addressed in a timely manner!
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 2:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• And, yes, sometimes kids are speech delayed and turn out "fine", but sometimes they don't. An evaluation and therapy will not hurt, it can only help. IF, by chance, there is a problem and you had opted to wait like some advocate, your child will be THAT much further behind. Really, it IS easier to address any problem as soon as possible, this is such a vulnerable time for them.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 2:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Yes they do help. My son is in therepy for his speech, he is almost 5 and doing so much better now. He is still not up to where he should be but it has made a great improvement. Its good that you are starting him now, they will evaluate him and then go over it with you. They will explaine what they will be working on and what you can do at home to help.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 2:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My girl is behind in speech and goes to kindergarden but in speech class. She does flash cards at home and a website called starfall and she enjoys that. Might want to check that out. When they get around other kids they do pick up more words.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I For the first visit they will come the house and see how the child is doing in their own environment. Then probabyly play some games with the child to encourage fun and talking so they can determine where the child is in their development. It will help create a wonderful new world for the child through language. Good luck!
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2011