Cable DVR box keeps resetting itself

Just wondering if this is a big problem with the Motorola DCT 3412 DVR boxes from the cable company.

It started happening 5 months ago. It would shut down, then turn itself on and reset itself, only happened couple times a month then.

Now, it happens a few times a day! Does this happen to anyone else????

I don't want to waste my time with the cable company and get another box if this is a common issue.

Linda1012

Asked by Linda1012 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Technology

• That happened to me before too but we have comcast, the box had a mind of its own!! but thankfully they updated and this no longer happens.
    EliannasMama

Answer by EliannasMama at 2:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I've gone through TONS of cable boxes from Comcast. For your very reason Linda1012. What it comes down to is this (direct from several tech support people on the issue): The standard definition boxes that (I'm guessing you have) are no longer being produced in favor of the High Definition boxes. This means that even if you have a technician come out and replace the box with another one you are getting a refurbished one from someone else. After having 4 different technicians come to my apartment in 3 weeks I finally broke down and got a High Definition box, with a deal. We rent/lease the box from Comcast. Standard Def box is about $10/month. The High Def box, without the deal is $15-$20/month.

Since we got the High Def box we have had no further problems with the random resets.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• It is a High Def box. Thanks for the info
    Linda1012

Comment by Linda1012 (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• We had issues with our HD cable box resetting itself and it was because the line coming into the house was old and SLOW and wasn't the proper digital line for the newer digital signals and HD techology. And since they weren't willing to run new line and up date their technology (suddenlink); we ended up going to Satellite.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My house is almost 5 years old, I wonder if the cable is the old kind? how can I find oout???
    Linda1012

Comment by Linda1012 (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I ended up finding out from out the tech they sent out. But our house is over 30 years old and the cable lines were almost that old too.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• We've had the same trouble, I guess the box is going out.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• im not sure
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:37 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• This was happening to me also. I have Cox cable and 2 of the boxes were bad and they replaced them.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 9:23 AM on Feb. 13, 2011