Taxes?

ok this may seem like a dumb question but bare with me, this is my first time doing taxes with a dependent...anyways I live with my fiance and our baby, And we want to do our taxes and we decided that he will claim the baby because he makes more money. So my question is what do I do or say since Im not claiming her. Btw Im using Turbo tax.

EliannasMama

Asked by EliannasMama at 2:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• you do not claim her so you file as independent with no children

your fiance files independent with one dependent child....you keep doing what you've been doing.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• just my own opinion. i would claim the baby if i made less. you get back the most money when you are in a certian tax bracket. but anywayz on to your question you asked. since you arent claiming the baby you dont do anything. just claim yourself and no one else and go on to the next question. you cant add the baby at all on your taxes since you arent claiming her
    Anonymous

• Anon is right, you really might have a lower tax liability if you claim your child instead of your fiance. Run the numbers to make sure.

http://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/?s=1
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:19 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• You can run it both ways with the program before submitting so you can see who would get the most money back. You just don't add dependent on yours if you aren't claiming the child.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 9:26 PM on Feb. 10, 2011