Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


ok this may seem like a dumb question but bare with me, this is my first time doing taxes with a dependent...anyways I live with my fiance and our baby, And we want to do our taxes and we decided that he will claim the baby because he makes more money. So my question is what do I do or say since Im not claiming her. Btw Im using Turbo tax.

Answer Question

Asked by EliannasMama at 2:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 12 (896 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • you do not claim her so you file as independent with no children

    your fiance files independent with one dependent keep doing what you've been doing.

    Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • just my own opinion. i would claim the baby if i made less. you get back the most money when you are in a certian tax bracket. but anywayz on to your question you asked. since you arent claiming the baby you dont do anything. just claim yourself and no one else and go on to the next question. you cant add the baby at all on your taxes since you arent claiming her

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • Anon is right, you really might have a lower tax liability if you claim your child instead of your fiance. Run the numbers to make sure.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:19 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • You can run it both ways with the program before submitting so you can see who would get the most money back. You just don't add dependent on yours if you aren't claiming the child.

    Answer by Imortlmommy at 9:26 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.