How can I get my 18 month old to stop biting her twin brother?

She is leaving her brother all bruised, and even bleeding sometimes. Please help!

teresakeenan

Asked by teresakeenan at 2:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Seperate them.

Figure out what it is that is causing the behavior so you can be proactive and stop the bite before it happens.

Don't worry, she'll grow out of it.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I agree with UpSheRises, there is a reason your daughter is biting your son, her brother. At 18 months I'm guessing it's because she's angry or frustrated with something he's done, and does not yet have the words to express herself. Is there a certain time of day she bites? Does she have a favorite toy that he keeps taking from her? Is he getting more attention than her? (not counting the comfort he gets after her biting him)

There is almost always a WHY behind the biting. At 18 months it's usually a frustration or anger over something and not having the words/vocabulary to get it out.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• With twins the reason behind it can be very odd. My twins would get mad when they where away from each other and would bite the other once they where put back together. It does not fit adult logic, but that was how they where getting back at each other for leaving.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Bite her back. Not hard. But enough to show her that it hurts. It sounds awful. But it works.
    looselylucid

Answer by looselylucid at 10:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Ya I tried biting her slowly but hard enough to show her it hurts and she does not get it... It's so hard because they are not old enough to understand yet,,,
    teresakeenan

Comment by teresakeenan (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2011