Help, my 3 yr old will NOT stop screaming!!!!

I do not know what to do anymore about my daughter. Believe me I have not tried spoiling her in anyway but if she is told "no" or doesnt get what she wants, she SCREAMS, and I do mean a little scream, I mean BLOOD curdling scream!!!! I have tried taking things away, not letting play outside, sending her to her room..even spanking(which Im not proud of) and she STILL does it. I have a child with ADHD and Asperger's and SHE is WORSE. HELP!!!

vicky31mom

Asked by vicky31mom at 6:25 AM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Same problem but boy age 3 we started to tell him to go to time out and when he is done screeming we let him get up and have him come to us and talk to us and tell us what he wanted instead of screaming at us. Spanking just makes the screming worse going out side every day makes him run off energy but it is when we come in that he starts screaming b\c he did not want to come in. Take toys away but keep the going out side it is so benificiall to them. Just go to teach them they don't get what they want by screaming for it. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• The Answer: SHE IS 3 lol

Don't spank anymore cause all it does is make things 100% worse and teaches her its ok to hit. What will you do if she hits you? She learned it from you! So stop with the spanking. It hurts her feelings, puts her down, and physically hurt. As Parents thats the last thing we want to do to our children, we don't want them hurt so why do it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• First of all, I think this "oh my don't spank you children" thing is rediculous. It does not promote hitting, it gets their attention. Anyway, screaming is something that 3 year olds do because they do not have the vocabulary to express their emotions. When she screams, put her in a quiet place, like her room, and shut the door. When she is done, talk with her about it. When you find out why she is upset (and this could talk a few minutes), give her the words to use when she is feeling this way. I hope this helps
    catlee2127

Answer by catlee2127 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Be consistent, send her to an alone area (her room at home) & explain to her over the screams that nodoby wants to listen to that so she can come out when has herself under control & she is ready to be around people. If you are away from home take her to the car, or someplace where she has to be away from everyone else. Do it every time & if she comes out still screaming or crying walk her back to her room & close the door. You want to teach her self control (much more effective than obedience) so don't think of it as punishment but a life lesson. I found it helpful when my daughter was a toddler to give her a hug or praise her ("that is a nice quiet voice") when she came out calm, so she got the message that people like to be around her when she is not screaming or hysterical.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• You should her in timeout for 3 minutes and then call her out to come to you. You may have to do it a few times and a swat on the hand is fine as long as you're not screaming at her too. Just stay consistent and send her to Timeout as soon as it starts up every single time.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 4:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Well, i'm guilty of spanking.. but i agree.. you shouldn't spank.. some kids learn that if you love somebody then you should hit them. .(because you love your kids even though you spanked them) Besides.. spanking didn't work.. so why do it. spanking doesn't work with my kids either it just gets them all upset and think that my husband or i don't love them anymore. We make them sit in the middle of the living room indian style with their hands on their knees and they can't move until we say they can. its your decision of what to do if they do move.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 4:39 PM on Aug. 28, 2008