6 week old and 18 month old...need advice!

I'm having trouble adjusting to 2 kiddos. my 6 week old has colic, so it's been very hard getting him on any kind of schedule and my 18 month old demands a lot of attention still. Can anyone give me any advice on juggle these 2? I feel like I'm going out of my mind! I keep hearing that it'll get better, I'm just not sure when lol....things are really tough and I've never felt so over whelmed in my life, so any advice at all would be great. Thanks!

Samie8183

Asked by Samie8183 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you have a SO? If so use their help! Two children can be handful, especially if one has colic!! Take turns switching between children to make sure each child has time with both of you! So have your SO take your 18mth old to the park, or a mall to run around and get some energy out while you tend to the baby and then switch! Itll help you by getting out of the house, spending time with your older one and each kid has attention. If your going it alone or your SO has a job that has him/her away from you most of the day then keep your 18 mnth old busy with coloring, or toys, sing soft songs with you 18 mth old so it can also soothe the baby at the same time. Id even get a baby doll (and i have a son!) for the 18 month old so he/she can pretend to be caring for a baby too. Children loved to be involved and be just like mom and dad. Good luck and try and keep your sanity lol!!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 2:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I have a DH, but he works at night, so he sleeps during the day. So it's pretty much just myself until he wakes up. That's what makes it hard I think. My mom comes over sometimes, but she can't help a lot because she's in a wheelchair. She does feed DS so I have a break from him, but she only comes over about once a week.
    Samie8183

Comment by Samie8183 (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My 2nd had colic. It SUCKED. I was up with him every night from 11pm to 2:30am. My husband would get home from work around 1am and then he'd want to "relax". Then he'd go to sleep and I'd finally get the baby to sleep and listen to him snore for hours just to have the baby wake up to eat every 2 1/2 hours. He also had reflux so feeding him took a good hour (between feeding, burping and changing his clothes when he puked all over). Then my oldest, who was 15 months when he was born, would wake up at 7am (after I had just a few hours of sleep). My husband refused to get up saying he was tired from working all day. Eventually I had to put my foot down and MAKE him help. He got to sleep until 10am and then it was his turn to take care of the kids while I slept until he left for work at 3pm. Those were long days. They're 10 and 9 now so it was a long time ago.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:54 AM on Feb. 11, 2011