Breast pumping and pregnancy?

I am pregnant with number 2. When I was pregnant with my first my milk came in a little late. So I was wondering if i could start pumping to the end of my pregnancy?

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I was a Neonatal ICU nurse who helped many women who wanted to BF their sick or premie baby/babies
    DO NOT pump while pg--as the others said, could cause PT labor. Besides, just like everything thins & dilates easier the 2nd time, the milk will prob come in sooner 2nd time--usu does.
    To help it come in soonest:
    a) never wait to feed the baby, when they're ready to eat--feed them
    b) do not have the nursery feed during the night if you stay in the hosp.
    c) you can pump after nursing to help speed things up
    d) drink something every time you sit down to nurse the baby
    e) you can drink special tea--fenugreek (sp?)--it helps
    f) eat oatmeal every day-0-don't know why it works, but it seems to help a lot
    g) RELAX
    suemayonline

Answer by suemayonline at 9:21 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• No. That can cause premature labor and WILL NOT bring your milk sooner. Delivery of the placenta triggers milk production, up to six days postpartum. Colostrum is all baby needs till then; just put baby to breast and all will be FINE.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:07 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Your milk will come soon enough. And when it does, you can start pumping. Probably not a good idea to force your body to produce milk. Make sure you have a back-up plan in case your milk doesn't come in time.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 3:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Agree with the above two. You can out yourself in preterm labor if you try. Better to just wait until your lil one arrives.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2011