How did you wean your child off a bottle?

My daughter is 15 months old, she was breast fed till she was almost 10 months, her WIC PED wants her off bottles but i dont see what is wrong with it? We finally got her off formula so she is just drinking milk in a bottle, and she sometimes drinks water in a bottle too. she drinks fluids from an open cup, but she loves her bottle. how did you get your little one(s) off the bottle?

BUDDHASBABY1

Asked by BUDDHASBABY1 at 2:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Went out and bought sippies,handed him that instead of the bottle,he gave it a funny look,tried it,and never wanted a bottle again. He was 13 mo

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I threw away all the bottles and gave my DD a sippy. The first week was rough, but it worked.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• she drinks sippies but she loves her bottle. she will not go to sleep with out one:(
    BUDDHASBABY1

Comment by BUDDHASBABY1 (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Once my kids where able to drink from a cup. I threw the bottles away when they where a year old.

Answer by louise2 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I started with transitional sippies. Nuby makes great ones. http://nuby.com/en/nuby/cups-spouts?show=all
    The nuby ones are really soft, just like a bottle, and they have ones that are more bottle-shaped to start the transition. Those were the ones my son liked best when I started him on sippies. At first he would just accept water in them, and we still gave him milk in a bottle, but it didn't take long to eliminate that altogether.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 3:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My 2 1/2 yr old and 16 month old still take a bottle at nap and bed time. The 2 1/2 is worse....when he was a year old the baby came on the scene and it was impossible, and quite frankly, too stressful to take it from him. I know at some point they will have to go. But I too don't see the big deal. WIC makes a huge deal out of it. What works for you in your house is your business and no one else's.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• there are sippy cups with a rubber tip that you have to suck from, it is spill proof and a good way to introduce the sippy cup and wean away from the bottle. my 1st 3 kids though they didn't have the fancy sippy cups of today, lol I would just throw them away one by one at the end of the day until they were "all gone" and threw up my hands so they understood. but then my 4th came much later and the latest and newest ideas were finally coming around in baby things were out and I tried the rubber tip sippy cup and it was a breeze, no explaining anything..
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 3:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• they dont like it because it is bad for their teeth. I just tossed them in the trash on or before their 1st birthday and they had to deal with it. You have to be the mom, dont allow them to boss you around about a bottle.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 3:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• After children start getting teeth the sucking motion they make with their mouth can cause the teeth coming in to come in sideways or crooked and that can cause their permanent teeth damage too
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 7:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• i basically just decided that once my ds knew how to drink out of cup that there was no need for the bottle. but instead of taking them all away at once i went to only getting a bottle before naps and bed. then after a week of that i did just one bottle before bed and did that for a week and then eliminated it all together and he took a drink of water when he brushed his teeth for bed.every kid is dif but the bottles can do serious damage to the shape of teeth and contrary to popular belief baby teeth do effect adult teeth.
    lildqsmama

Answer by lildqsmama at 7:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2011