What are some creative ways of discipline?

The traditional spankings and time-outs do not work. He laughs at me. I've tried taking stuff away or sending him to his room but it doesn't help. His behavior is out of control. Can someone please help me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think you need to be creative. I think you just have not made it painful enough yet. Bad behavior equals painful consequences. If he is laughing at you, that tells me it hasn't gotten painful yet.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:03 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• the laughter could be a defense mechanism. he's trying to make you feel like it's not working. Do you have a time out room? A place where there is NOTHING he can use for amusement?

You could try putting him in a corner, facing the corner. Not allowed it talk or do anything bu stare at the corner. That used to work with us where nothing else would. If he starts laughing, add more things to the punishment.

My dad would've slapped me across the face if I laughed at him, but I don't think you need to go that far.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 3:07 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• If he's out of control, then i would reduce his privliges. Maybe i'm a hard ass, and i've never had to do this b/c my son simply knows i would, but my friends have done this. Take EVERYTHING away, except his clothes and bedding. No tv, no games, no toys, no special trips, no treats, no playdates, etc. and tell him if he wants to earn these things, he needs to be a good listener, respectful, responsible, etc. and talk about ways he can do these, help him with examples so he understands. As a society, we give kids too much, then wonder why they act like brats? All he needs is love, and basic necessities. Sending him to his room, with NOTHING but bedding in it, will work. He will throw a big fuss, but after a week (or less?) he'll realize you mean business!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My daughter is 4 in a half and let me tell you what, that was and still is a hard issue.
    I have found that
    When she gets into something or does something she is not supposed to do, I make her go back to the scene of the crime and point out what was wrong, and tell me why she did it. I dont get mad I dont spank or use time out anymore. She just looks at me really weird and tells me what I asked, and she says, You're not mad? I said, no I am not mad, I am sad, sad you did not follow the rules.

When she is throwing a fit, I get her baby doll's bottle and bib, and I lean down and look at her and say, Okay fine. I put the bib on her and hand her the bottle and say, babys throw fits not big girls. She has the puzzled look on her face and says im not a baby mom, I say well your acting like one, and she stops. lol

You just have to try off the wall stuff, that makes them stop and think and be like woah wait a minute..
    Mommyy2

Answer by Mommyy2 at 5:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• just dont give in.. dont let him ever get away with what he is doing.. just gotta fallow threw and figure out what bothers him.. sometimes i tell my oldest when he is being super grouchy and whiney that if he doesnt stop being a butt then he wont get to watch tv that day.. it works almost everytime..
    momaholly

Answer by momaholly at 1:03 AM on Feb. 13, 2011