Another bombshell for Healthcare bill?

What was it Nancy Pelosi said, “the health care bill will create 400,000 jobs.” Even Obama said it would be a job creator. Well as with other things we are now finding these statements are false.

Testifying today before the House Budget Committee, Congressional Budget Office (CBO) Director Doug Elmendorf confirmed that Obamacare is expected to reduce the number of jobs in the labor market by an estimated 800,000. Here are excerpts from the exchange:

Chairman [Paul] Ryan: “[I]t’s been argued...that the new health care law will create jobs and increase labor force participation. But if I recall from your analysis, it was quite the opposite. Is that not the case?”

Director [Douglas] Elmendorf : “Yes.”...

[…]

Rep. [John] Campbell: Thank you, Mr. Chairman, we'll -- and Dr. Elmendorf -- and we'll continue this conversation right now. First on health care, before I get to -- before I get to broader issues, you just mentioned that you believe -- or that in your estimate, that the health care law would reduce the labor used in the economy by about 1/2 of 1 percent, given that, I believe you say, there's 160 million full-time people working in '20-'21. That means that, in your estimation, the health care law would reduce employment by 800,000 in '20-'21. Is that correct?

Director Elmendorf: Yes. The way I would put it is that we do estimate, as you said, that...employment will be about 160 million by the end of the decade. Half a percent of that is 800,000.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/cbo-director-says-obamacare-would-reduce-employment-800000-workers_547288.html

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 3:26 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I have a job because of the healthcare bill. In case management. CMS also has jobs.
    Anonymous

• It isnt really shocking. I have a couple friends who are nurses that mentioned this bill would effect their jobs and not for the better.

Answer by gemgem at 3:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Well as long as YOU have a job, to hell with the other 800,000.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I know quite a few people who will lose their jobs because of the healthcare bill. BUT good for you anonymous.
    Anonymous

• Anon, you have a job NOW, but is it guaranteed! Do you really feel like you have job security? If so, you're dillusional!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Not surprised. There are a LOT of parts of the healthcare bill they are not telling us about. Nancy Pelosi even said that on an interview "there are parts of the healthcare bill that will be made known to the public once it goes through"...why not before?

boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:43 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I have freinds in the medical field, and they said, it will hurt them....and us. My doctor said this healthcare bill would affect all her patients, and not in a positive way. She said, what they (her medical community) learned of it was that the public would lose their "choice" of doctors under this bill, so she wouldn't be able to garuntee all her patients would be able to continue to see her and even though they are a private paractice, they would not be able to have a choce in their clients either. Lastly, that if she were to get clients that couldn't pay, they would have to just "eat it", rather than dropping them as a client, or sending them to a collection agency. She said a lot of good doctors could go under, & healthcare will fall par of excellence, becasue a lot of crappy doctors will make just as much as the good ones, yet, they don't care about health. And we've all seen the diff. between a crappy doc. & a good one
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:46 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Why will it reduce employment?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• But Carpy, Nancy was using the NEW MATH.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 4:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I seriously wouldn't be surprised at all.What Nancy said was that the bill HAD to pass so that we could see whats in it...so I mean she wasn't even hiding how much of a damn snake in grass she and O are..she was blatant about it all.Let's see the health care feild ..at least around here..had always had jobs to offer..so if they can EFF that up they can eff ANYTHING up.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:34 PM on Feb. 10, 2011