How much does it cost one person to eat for a month?

My sister lives with us and we split the rent and utilities. My husband and I get 367.oo a month in food stamps, which is for a two person household because my sister and I have SSI and don't count on the case. Our Mom, who manages my sister's SSI funds, pays her rent and utilities and food each month. She gives us $100 a month for her groceries and we are always low on food. Teresa eats a lot to. 2 days age we had a box of 8 ice cream sandwiches. My husband had one or two and I had none. They are all gone and Teresa insists she had only one. But I found 5 wrappers hidden in her room. This is a routine thing whenever we have a treat in the house. IMO our Mom should give us at least $150 a month for her food. But its like she thinks because we get food stamps Teresa should be able to eat for almost nothing. Makes me mad because we always run out of food before the month is over. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Food & Drink

• 50% of what you get in food stamps should be what one person could live on for one month. That is around $183. I would show your mom how much you get per person and tell her you need the same amount for your sister.

Answer by gemgem at 3:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Honestly $100 dollars is enough for one person. Perhaps she just needs to buy generic brand stuff and not name brand. Or possibly eating less. Not buying things she doesn't need helps as well.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• If she's eating more than $100/month, then she should be paying more. If you're mother has difficulty with this, tell your mother that you won't buy the food for your sister any more. Split up the pantry and your sister can have what your mother provides.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My DH, 2 year old DD and I eat a month on groceries...it's close to 400 bucks.
    However, we don't qualify for assistance, and there's nothing wrong with it.

I don't see how a total of 467.00 that 3 of you can't eat off of.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• We don't ever buy name brand food. We all eat out the fridge and there is no "your" or "mine."
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• There are 4 in the house.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I would shop for your sister SEPERATELY. All her food should have her name on it. If she wants to eat through her food, then she goes hungry I guess, or your mom can pay more out for HER FOOD and SNACKS. I would imagine since she's living with you, you would have control over her SSI or she herself should have authority over it...given that she's got the mental/physical capacity to do so?....
    Anonymous

• My sister is mentally about 9. I help take care of her which is why she is here. I don't know if separate food would work because she would just sneak what she wants anyway.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• You say there's no "yours or mine" but really there is, cause you are upset she's eating the food that you bought with YOUR money right? So there needs to be that seperation...at least for a little while until you can figure out, just how much your mom needs to give you for her share of what she eats.
    Anonymous

• I feed my family of four with $100.00 a month. Larger families require bulk buys such as hamburger meat, chicken, rice, beans, etc. It all depends on what is being purchased.

Tips:

Buy more for less
    Cook at least two large meals a day (brunch and dinner)
    Limit snacks (fruits and veges as snacks)

Lifestyle change but it will take the cook to make the changes and the food will last longer.
    Dreamlander

Answer by Dreamlander at 3:43 PM on Feb. 10, 2011