Sahm vs. working mom re: libido

Im a 43 yr old sahm of a middle schooler and high schooler.  I had my annual today with my obgyn and mentioned to her that my libido was slowing down.  She said that she has found that her patients (around my age) who have always been sahms tend to have lower libidos.  This is not scientific fact.... just what she has noticed over her years of practice.

what are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Health

• now that I think about it she only knows what her patients tell her about their libido..... that could be a factor too.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Idk. I am almost 40 and my libido is fine. I have mostly been a SAHM and my oldest is 22 yrs old, youngest is 6 and in kinder.

Answer by gemgem at 4:11 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I'll be 41 in a couple of months and I've noticed a real drop in my own libido. I've always worked full time.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 4:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Sounds like her personal opinion, not a medical fact. If you're concerned deal with the issue, not the correlation.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I, personally, don't think it has anything to do with working or staying at home. I think our age factors in and plays a huge role for the loss of libido. I am 33 and have found that when I work, I am so tired I don't even want to think about romance. When I am at home, I still can't find the time or energy to consider it...lol. I have found that when you change things up a bit, it works well. When the kids go stay the night somewhere or that date with the hubby. Don't plan it just make it happen. I think it has more to do with repetition and boredom than anything else.
    Dreamlander

Answer by Dreamlander at 4:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I'm 48 and I have an extremely high libido.. Peri menopause kicked in around 40, and my libido spiked up like a teenage boy.. LOL I'm "on" almost all of the time... lol

I have been a working mom. Became a SAHM when my son was 10.. Have been a SAHM for nearly 10 years now. So can't say if that had any affect.

My doc (who is a menopause/perimenopause specialist) told me this. That women, especially in our age group, are very much use it or lose it creatures. The more sexually active we were before this stage in life, and the more pleasurable our sex lives were/are, the more likely a woman is to have a spike instead of slow down in libido. That the hormones/chemicals released during orgasm help to balance (to a point, not totally) the loss of hormones we are having due to peri menopause. So some women who enjoy sex on a regular basis (orgasm regularly) are less likely to have a drop in libido during this time of life.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I'll be 21 in August. And pretty much don't have a libido anymore. I just don't feel the need for sex like I use to when I didn't have kids. I have one boy who will 1 on the 25th, and I'm 23 weeks pregnant with my second. Having kids so young has just seemed to kill my sex drive.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Oh, and I'm also a SAHM.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• bad day ms. proverbs? bit snippy arent we. I think I said in the post that this is not scientific fact. and thank you for your concern I am dealing with it.  I truly hope your day gets a bit better.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• pixi trix.... funny that you say peri menopause... I guess that is something GOOD to look forward to. Im not sure Ive hit that yet.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Feb. 10, 2011