How long do you stay married to the wrong man?

Jackie.au

Asked by Jackie.au at 6:33 AM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Relationships

• My first question would be, are you really sure he's the wrong man and how do you know?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:41 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Three years and counting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• As anon #1 said... is he really the wrong man? Or are you just going through hard times? If you are absolutely sure he is not right for you, I wouldn't prolong it. Personally, staying for the kids will make them resent you both. If you are not happy they will pick up on it.
    If you are going through a rough patch, you should seek counseling. Don't leave because its easier. Marriage is not easy and you have to work on it to make it last.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:41 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• i was married to the wrong man for almost 8 years...i am grateful actually that he ended up cheating on me. it woke me up, and i divorced him
    Dark_Princess_2

Answer by Dark_Princess_2 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• That would depend on the situation. If there is neglect or abuse involved, that would be ASAP. If not, you need to look at why you are staying in the first place. When you are ready, take the steps to make your own life. I have been married three times, and two of the three turned out to be friends later on. I'm just bummed that I wasted part of my life by waiting to go.
    Nursekim99

Answer by Nursekim99 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• i was married to the wrong man for 5 1/2 years just because it was what i was "supposed to do"...it crushed my spirit and nearly destroyed me...i kind of snapped one day and just disappeared...i wish i would have stayed a little longer just to plan things out better, but i did what i did because i felt like i would lose my mind if i stayed any longer
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 11:48 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I STAYED WITH THE WRONG MAN FOR 19 YEARS UNTILL MY CHILDREN GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL, THEN I GOT THE HECK OUT OF THERE! LOL
    lou514

Answer by lou514 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I was with the wrong man for 12 freaking LONG years..if there's one thing I learned is life is too short to stay miserable-you don't want to have any regrets..so if you think he's the wrong man for Gods sake get OUT. Being alone is better then a unhappy relationship. TRUST me
    Anonymous

• I stayed married to the wrong man for 17 years. I was unhappy. He was unhappy. We married young and just went through the motions. We finally realized it was wrong and divorced. I am now with a very sweet, loving man and have hopefully many happier years ahead. Don't prolong it, if you know it's not right.
    JoSexy

Answer by JoSexy at 12:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• It depends on how wrong he is.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2008