Can dogs get depressed?

My DH is on the road driving ( he just started back after 4 yrs.). We got the dogs after he came off the road before. He's been gone for 3 wks. and the dogs r just,mopping around and don't act normal. I figure that's the problem but, I was just wondering.

pswiley

Asked by pswiley at 4:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Pets

• Yes they can get depressed. They can stop eating, stop playing and really just act depressed like humans can. Usually its an environmental change that can cause it so your dh being on the road could be causing them some anxiety. I would call the vet they may be able to give you some over the counter type medical advice. My dog starts licking herself to death when things change in our house. My vet said it was an anxiety issue and had me buy some over the counter anxiety stuff at walmart.

Answer by gemgem at 4:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Of course they can, our pets have been breed to NEED US, they need our love for good mental health. Do some extra activities with your pet to help him cope.

Contact me if you need ideas.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 4:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I don't think they can get depressed like people, but they can get sad when they realize something has changed.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My husband also travels and his "Little Juany" misses him so much. When Husband comes home Juan, a chihauhau, litterlly jumps five feet in the air.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• aww how sad... dogs and cats do get depressed and some could even get spiteful. my friend had a well behaved cat until they moved back in with her mom, her cat was very upset and would pee on her military uniform, nothing else but her uniforms lol. keep the dogs busy,take them for longer runs and if you have a dog park that would be great. check and see if you have a doggy daycare in your area, you can take them there at least once a week. GL.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 4:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Yes they can. I remember when hubby left overseas & his dog howled & wined for the first 2 months. He would keep pacing around & looking out the window every time he heard a truck drive by. All he did was mope around all sad. When he came back home he was the happiest dog ever.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 4:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• i think so!

i put this sweater they make for dogs on my dog one time and all he did was sit on the couch all day long and wasnt even in the playing mood. Once i took it off he was back to normal...playing and running around lol.

different situation but if you notice behavior changes then it could be because he's thinking of your man and missing him if he was close.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 5:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Yes, He's the closest to them, They love him to death. He has spoiled them rotten.
    pswiley

Comment by pswiley (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I believe so... the dog we had when we were kids was very close with my dad... after he died the dog was not the same ...did not eat, waited for hourd by the door for him cried, it was sad... did the same thing several years later when my grandma passed (with no one home after my dad passed --my sister and I were in college-- my grandma tood the dog cause she was home...did wondersfor the dog) he did the same thing... but the dog lived for about 23 years
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 5:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• yes they can, when my dad died our dog howled because he knew something was wrong. he cried the sad part was we had to let him go to a relative after dad died because where mom went she could not have him and where i was i could not. he grieved himself:( it tore us apart noone called us and told us he was having problems until it was to late.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 7:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2011