Has anyone ever been successful in getting a veterinarian to take less money for a visit or procedure?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 4:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Pets

• Yes i argue to the point.Iam sorry but it makes no sense to let this profession rip a hole in your pocketbook.I even argued a price that was given me concerning an x-ray one of my kids had to have.Got the x-ray free.I am no bitch ,i just pointed out that i knew how much he paid for the film ,how much time it took to develop it,and that it was gouging the public.I have told vets that it seems extreme to me on that price and i usually get a cheaper one.You can price them just like doctors.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Yes, pet insurance and pet insurance alternative.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 4:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• yes, on a hamster. he refused to chew his toys and his chompers grew into his brain. the vet could tell we were poor and he did a LOT of work and only charged us the $50 office visit and even that was like a weeks groceries. a big dog, intestinal surgery, etc that stuff is so damn pricey, though, I don't know many vets who'd negotiate. A crying child never hurts though.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Yes. I had a litter of kittens and I went away for a weekend and one of them was really sick. I dont know what happened to her she was the most healthy before we left. The vet had already seen the kittens before our trip and she normally charges $65 for a visit. She ended up having to put the kitten to sleep and she didnt charge me for the visit. I paid to have her put down though. I later got a condolence card from the vet and her staff.

Answer by gemgem at 4:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• no. my cat was really sick and we took him in and they said he'll need surgery which would be about $1,000 with anesthesia costs as well. He died before they could put him under and they still charged us $600 for basically taking his temp and letting him die.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 4:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My vet dropped the costs for treating our dog from over $5000 down to just under $3000. It was actually more than that because he allowed me to keep her at home while she was on IVs rather than keeping her in the clinic and charging me for the overnight stays. It depends on the vet, how well they know you (if you just walk in for a first visit with an emergency you should not expect a price break!!), how consistent you are with routine treatment, etc.

I've walked from vets where I was in all the time, consistent on shots, etc. and got handed a walloping ER fee ~ and told them exactly why. As a former vet tech I understand the overhead, but I also insist on a vet that actually cares at least as much about the animals as the money (and I prefer one that cares most about healthy animals).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My vet recently took 10% off my charges to help me out. My dog was in severe pain so we made an emergency visit. He took several x-rays and handed out lots of meds. The 10% really helped out! He also lets me bring in urine for a uti check instead of paying for the full visit, I just pay for the test and meds if needed.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 5:19 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• grismelda- I have to ask, do you do the same thing with your doctor when it concerns your health?
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• We purchased pet insurance, because we have a big dog--Newfoundland, and because of their size, they're prone to a number of illnesses and injuries and treatments can be expensive when they're ill. I'd rather pay $38/month, instead of having to make the decision between a $5000 emergency bill or putting our dog to sleep.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Our dog just got full blood work done and a bunch of other things. We have been taking the dog to this vet for 5 years. She only charged us for the work up not the visit. I did not ask but a crying mommy hugging her dog apparently does not hurt either.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:34 AM on Feb. 11, 2011