Can babies have eggs?!

my son is 10 months old..i made a meatloaf for dinner (it has 2 eggs in it) and my dr said give him what we are having for dinner but i was unsure if he was allowed to have eggs yet....

dmdemes

Asked by dmdemes at 4:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think the meatloaf will be fine but they arent allowed to have eggs until about a year old.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 4:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Most pedis now days want babies to wait until after their first birthday for eggs because they believe it reduces frequency of allergy to them. If you son has had his vaccines and they are up to date..you already know he isn't allergic to eggs. I gave all my kids eggs by the time they were 8 months and we have many allergies..just none to eggs.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Why?
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• That's fine. Eggs mixed into another food is fine.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 4:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• yes poached eggs
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 4:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Yes it should be fine if your child is not allergic. I fed my kids eggs starting at 11 months. You can actually start feeding them egg yolks at 7 months fully cooked.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 4:53 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• It should be fine just keep an eye out for signs of an allergy. I think my DD was about ten months when I gave her eggs, she is allergic and she vomited and broke out in hives which was kind of scary. But I would have had to find it out eventually and it probably would have been better if she had been eating meatloaf made with egg rather than cooked egg yolk. I say give it a go, you never know until you try and I think he is old enough.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I gave my daughter eggs about 7/8 mo old, just made sure they were cooked super good. Then cooled them down and let her go to town.
    If you're unsure if he is alergic, make one egg and give him a bite and you will see.
    Other that, I think he should be fine. Just dont mix cheese or syrup or anything else (salt or pepper), to soon. :)
    Mommyy2

Answer by Mommyy2 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I gave my son egg yolks at 7 months old, and whole eggs (scrambled) about 10 months old. And my son is severly allergic to eggs, so I would recommend waiting a bit.
    busywithbabies

Answer by busywithbabies at 5:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My kids all had eggs at that age. Unless you have a family history of allergies, especially to eggs, I'd say go ahead and give it to him!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:53 PM on Feb. 10, 2011