How do I make it through the teen years????

How do I make it through the teen years with my daughter??
She is sooo hormonal.
She can dish it out but storms off if any one teases her.
She is soooo lazy!!
Surely I am not the only one out there that feels this way?
Any one have advice?

Zan_mom_of_5

Asked by Zan_mom_of_5 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• You have to make the rules clear and stick to your guns. Keep your distance when she's in a mood. I remember days when I didn't talk to my daughter any more than absolutely necessary. It always helps to pray. LOL
    Sorry for the lack of advice but there just isn't much else you can do.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Lots of alcohol haha j/k. Actually I have 5 kids, the oldest three are 22, 18 and 17 and some days I feel like I am going to pull out my own hair. I have managed though by understanding this is all just a phase like anything else. My mom always told me that God made babies so cute so we could love them and care for them, and then makes them so horrible as teens so we will LET THEM GO when they are adults. I think she is right.
    if its any consolation my oldest is a girl, she is 22 yrs old, and at 15-16 she was a nightmare!!! Now shes married, has her own kids and is back to her normal self and we get to hang out and what not. She still has her moments, but who doesnt? Just remember you will have to pick and choose your battles & sometimes let them do things you know will end badly so they can learn.

Answer by gemgem at 4:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I agree with the pp! Remember when ur teen says i dont know why i did or said that they honestly dont! Teen yrs are the hardest! lots of patience and you time will be in order! also find someone that can relate and vent often!
    taraniccole

Answer by taraniccole at 4:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I have a 14 DD and an almost 13 DS. They haven't started the real bad stuff yet.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 4:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Gemgem is 100% right - pick your battles!!! If its not something you are willing to fght and die over, then let it go... I have three kids - 26, (almost) 20 and 18 and I learned the hard way that somethings just aren't worth it. Things that will come and go like hairstyles or clothing - not worth it. One came out of his room one morning with his head totally shaved. Oh well. He's the one that has to look like a condom head, not me. The other thing I learned is keep your response porportional. A smart remark does not earn the same response as a broken curfew. Teens quickly learn to just tune you out. And last, don't buy into their drama. Turn your back on it. Refuse to listen to it. Until they can speak calmly you do not listen. Carry an Ipod and put in earbuds if you have to but do not listen to their shit until they are calm and respectful....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 5:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Pick your battles, be patient and understanding. Keep communication open, don't freak out when questions are asked. Let her make her own mistakes and help her learn from them. If all that fails, Xanax is a good thing to have around (for you.)

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• These without a doubt is the most difficult stage there is, you need to put your foot down be authority and inquisitive always.

Answer by older at 7:45 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• alcohol and prayer, LOL
    notjstasocermom

Answer by notjstasocermom at 7:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I am considered a pretty laid back Mom. My dd had a short spell when she was thirteen, where nothing I said, did, bought, gave, etc. was right or enough. I took her to her pediatrician, and told him she wasn't going to live to be 18 if I didn't get some help, quick. He put her on a very mild anti-depressant, and the change was miraculous! She took them for about 6 mos, but I still have them for when she starts to get that way again. She's 17 now,(no , it's not the same pills, it's a fresh scrip), and we are best friends. I always let her wear her hair how she liked it, never bitched about her make-up, and she has always been conservative in her dress. So it really wasn't so bad, but I know that my granddaughter is really going through a rough spell, and I keep telling my daughter, just 4 more years, that's all she has to put up with it for, just 4 more years. I'm lying, and my dd knows I'm lying, but it makes her feel better
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 3:55 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Thank you all, for your advice....I agree with all of this. Sometimes it is just so difficult to be patient. My support system is probablly not as good as I need too, LOL
    Zan_mom_of_5

Comment by Zan_mom_of_5 (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2011