What was your first job?

What did you do? How old were you when you started working? How much did you make?

I was a busser at a really crappy restaurant - it was a TERRIBLE job! I was 15 at the time (so over 7 years ago now) and I started out making I think $5.60 an hour, or something around there. Luckily min. wage got bumped up to $6 right after I started, which was a huge improvement!

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 4:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• My first "real" job other than babysitting was at Dunkin' Donuts the summer I was turning 15. I had to be there at 6 AM on Saturdays and Sunday, and worked til around 2 pm. I made whatever minimum wage was at the time, and the owners--2 middle-eastern men--did not like me. They thought I was too wild, lol. I ended up getting fired. As far as I can recall, it's the only job I ever got canned from.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I worked at American Eagle Outfitters for I want to say $5 something an hour. I miss the discounts!! LOL
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 6:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Cashier at a grocery store. I was 16.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 5:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I had a regular babysitting job 4 days a week or more when i was 13 then at 14 I got a job as dishwasher/pizza maker at a local resturant
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 5:03 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My first real job that wasn't baby sitting was working for the Clothing store Mervyn's. I started out making 8.25 an hour and got a raise to 8.75. I was 18 and it was the best job I have ever had if it hadn't closed I would probably still be there.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 5:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I was a Photo Clerk at a one hour photo in Central New York.
    I made 7.00 an hour and I was 18 years old.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:40 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I worked at a pizza parlor. I was there maybe 2 weeks. I remember one of the owners sons told me "we'll call you when we need you" and they never called LOL.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Regular babysitting at 14 and got paid $4 an hour. At 15 started working as a cashier at a grocery store and was there until I graduated high school. Made minimum wage the entire time.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I picked and husked corn for an experimental seed company. I was 15 at the time and it was a summer job.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 7:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• neighborhood babysitter from age 14 1/2 to 17..made lots of cash! then went to beauty school, and first REAL job was in a salon...i never looked back!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2011