Question for anyone who has pumped

So my little guy is 3 weeks old, I started pumping today for the first time. My lactation Consultant told me to pump about 8-10 mins after every feeding. So I have done it twice today and both times I barely got any milk out of me at all. Is this pretty normal? When will I start getting a decent amount of milk from pumping like this? I have to get a D&C done on Tuesday and I need to have enough milk pumped for about two feedings and I'm starting to get nervous that I'm not going to have enough milk. Please let me know how pumping went

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did not have a consultant but I pumped an hour after each feeding. I was pumping for back ups for when I was at work. I had a freezer so full it looked like the Mayfield dairy by the time I started back in 11 weeks. lol. then I still pumped at work!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• thats normal esp after you have done a feeding. keep it up. or better yet wait about 30 mins after feeding him then pump you will get more milk and it wont interfer with the next feeding. the more you feed and pump the more milk you will get.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• It takes some time, The more milk that leaves, the more will come in. In a few days you should be able to notice a difference.
    busywithbabies

Answer by busywithbabies at 5:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• How many days does it normally take for my milk supply to 'up' with me doing this? Also, Should I be pumping in the middle of the night while I'm trying to 'up' my supply? any help would be great
    nat1387

Comment by nat1387 (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Are you in the breastfeeding group? They give good advice.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 5:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I was told to pump in the morning, because that's when your supply is at its greatest. I think that the advice your consultant is giving to you, to pump immediately after a feeding, is designed to increase the amount that you CAN pump. It's not a way to GET a lot, though. If you need to get more milk though, to tide you through, then I suggest waiting until about an hour after you nurse to pump, because that's when you'll get the most. Make sure that you drink a lot of water beforehand. Also, what type of pump are you using? I could get A LOT out with my double electric, but barely anything with my single hand pump. Also, support your breasts while pumping the same way you do when you're nursing (I figured out how to put one arm under my two breasts to hold them up while using the other arm to hold the pumps in place.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• You need to learn how to respond to the pump. A great video on this at

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:52 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Well it sounds like you are having issues responding to the pump. The best advice I got for that was to pump one side while I nursed the other to take advantage of the natural let down. This can take a little doing, but I took an old nursing bra and cut a small slit in it for the horn to stick out and the bra then held the horn in place. Good luck and if you are not responding to the pump try hand expressing. With my first I just could not get myself to respond to the pump and only needed little bits here and there so I hand expressed. With my second pumping was a necessity so I worked more and after a few weeks I got myself to respond VERY well and had an over supply!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• What do you mean when you say respond to the pump?
    nat1387

Comment by nat1387 (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My lactation consultant told me to pump 1 hour after nursing. If you are pumping right after nursing, you are empty from the baby. Pumping 1 hours after nursing will allow your body to replenish.

also, you need to be consistant about what time you pump. Make sure that it's at the same time each day. Supply and demand. Your body will start to learn when it needs to produce milk and when you are irregular about when you pump, your body will not learn that a x-time each day, it needs to make more.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2011