How do you shut someone up that is constantly sarcastic?

I don't deal with sarcasm well...I take it personally...it's not a joke to me. So how do I get my point across to someone that is constantly sarcastic with me? Especially strangers....I don't get how you've only been around me for 5 min and your already being a smart ass.

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• Just tell them, straight up.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I appreciate a smart-ass sense of humor -- but if you don't, I would just walk off and/or avoid them -- they will get the point.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 6:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Look him square in the eye and say, "You know what? I don't have time for that kind of talk so I will be leaving until such time as you can speak to me without that sarcasm in your voice." Then leave the room, the house, or whatever you need to leave. Oh, and don't look back to see his reaction either.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Don't take it so personally. If the person is rude that's one thing but if the person likes to joke around, what is wrong with that?
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 6:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I admit I have a dry, sarcastic wit...but I realize others do not. So I am always mindful of gauging my "audience" FIRST! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Maybe it's how they were taught so they don't know another way. You want them to change. How about if you change too? There are many people in the world and why should they all change bc you don't like what they like?
    Anonymous

• to anon, I would just like them to be mindful that not everyone has their "sense of humor" and some people do take it personally...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• you should just tell them , some people can't take a hint and need to be told up front!
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• If they should be able to judge by your reaction that their manners are not going over well, then mimic them. I do that to my hubby sometimes. I will repeat what he says over and over, but change it up a bit. And do it in question form. It used to take me saying something 4-5 times before he got what I was doing, and I thought it was way too funny. Not so much anymore, he's on to me. It will be like your own little inside joke, until they figure it out.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 10, 2011