My brother was released from a group home last month. what services can my brother receive?

He is eager to get an apartment, but he can't afford it. He receives monthly disability benefits (SSI) ii don't know of any services that can help with his bills. I will see if he can get food stamps when the weather clears. Any comments or.suggestions are appreciated. I forgot to mention he is 20 yrs old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• I would say that he should get food stamps. I don't know of any kind of housing allowance, but when you sign him up for FS at DHS ask them if there are other benefits he can receive. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:35 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• You need to contact your local Board of Developmental Disabilities, or Board of Mental Retardation/Developmental Disabilities. Every county in the entire country has one. Both those names mean the same thing its just one is more PC then the other. He can probably get assistance with bills, food, employment, transportation, and leisure activities, but it all has to be applied for through the above mentioned agency and then there's the paperwork and interview process. But if he qualifies for SSI then he typically qualifies for their services.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• ba13ygrl is right. That is the place to go. I used to work in that field.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Catholic Charities? I'm surprised the group home didn't hook him up with some phone numbers...
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Also try the YMCA. It's temporary housing, and I think they can help him locate services too.
    Fallaya

• Honey we had the same problem with my sister in law... god bless her... but we found a lot of help through the State... what State are you in dear... I know a lot of people that can help in this area... here is somewhere where you can start...

http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html/state_aid_and_assistance_progr.html

Just let me know and I will help you out to the fullest of my abilities!
    lynn.cox22

Answer by lynn.cox22 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I agree with ba13ygrl. I'm am very surprised that they released him without a follow up plan. That doesn't sound like a very good group home!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 5:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• You should talk to his worker. If he get a check he can get food stamps. His worker can help him to find housing.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 11:35 AM on Feb. 12, 2011