Would you leave your child in the car for a minute while you run in the store?

I was just watching the local news where this lady left her 6 month old baby in the car while she ran into the store to get something. When she came out her car was no where to be found. It was stolen! Cops end up finding the baby and car the baby is fine. But would you leave your child in the car to go pay for gas, run in the store? Lately I have been seeing many moms doing this. A couple of months ago there was a lady that was shopping around Target for like 30 minutes while her 5yr old and 1yrold slept in the backseat. Another shopper called the police, the mom excuse was "they were sleep and I didn't want to wake them".

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• No way! You hear too many accounts of "I was only gone a minute" and the child is gone or dead. People who leave their kids in cars need to stop and think about the safety of their children.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Nope. We all go in or nobody goes in!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I'd never leave ANY child alone in the car.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• No way!! Never!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 6:19 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I've left my son and sister in the car to run into a store to return something, but my sister is 9 and capable of dialing 911 if my car were being stolen. I typically pull up into the passenger drop off lane and then take the keys with me. I've also left my son in the car to run into a gas station when its below zero out and again, I take the keys and in that circumstance I can see my car at all times. NO ONE would be able to hot wire my car and steal it before I would be out there causing a scene and dialing 911.
    No, I would never leave my infant in the car to shop, and I wouldn't leave my 5 year old alone in the car to shop, only when he's with his aunt or I can physically see the car at all times.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• A 6 month old no...shoot....I won't even leave my 4 year old in the car by herself.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Um I have left my 5.5 year old while I ran in to get a soda, but I won't leave my 3.5 year old or both in the car. In our state it is actually law that they can't be left in there under the age of 6 years. A child over 12 years can be left with one under 6 years, but between 6-12 they are not to be left alone with another child under 6 years old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:19 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Depends on where I am and who's there. In our small town I'll pull right up to the gas station door where the cashier is right inside the door and run in to grab a soda or something. I would never leave them where I wasn't a few steps away and couldn't see the vehicle or was going to be out longer than a few minutes.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 6:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I would depend on the age and maturity.
    I would not leave my 11 year old autistic child in the car alone. Not at this point anyway. I would not leave my 20 month old in the car.
    I used to leave my older children in the car when they got older, but they were like 8 and 10 at that time and I lived in a small farm town. BUT, I always locked the door and had one of the kids unlock it for me when I arrived.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Never! When my kids were young I tried to do a lot of those little errands while they were still in day care or my husband or I would stay home and the other would do the errands. In NJ all gas is Full Service, so that is one thing I never had to worry about.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 6:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2011