Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Contempt hearing

My ex hired an attorney and filed to find me in contempt about a year ago. I got a paper from his attorney the other day saying that a hearing had been set. The allegations are that I refuse my ex visitation with my dd (he is in the military and both times he has been back, I have let him have her MORE then our court order and have text msgs printed out that show he agreed to the extra visits schedule.) It also says I am doing harm to their relationship by forcing my dd to call my "boyfriend" daddy. I have never forced, or even asked my 4 year old to call my FIANCE' "daddy". She started that on her own when she was about 2 (my fiance' had been around 6 months or so), I corrected her everytime she said it and after a few months took her to a family counsoler who said to just let her and not make a big deal about it, which I did. After a couple weeks it stopped until a month or 2 after my ex went into the military and she started it again and hasn't stopped. I talk to my ex about it he gets mad and says things like "do what you want, I dont' care". For the past year, my ex has only called about once a month or so to talk to my dd and yet he says I am damaging his relationship with her. Anyway, I don't have an attorney and can't afford one but is there any advice anyone can give what I should do? I am not too worried because I know I haven't done any of the things he is accusing and I can prove that at least with the visits, he is lying. I am bringing the printed out text msgs with him agreeing to the extra visits (he is saying he didn't get enough while here, though, TBH, I could have just given what was in the court order and that's it). I would appreciate any advice, Thanks

Answer Question

Asked by JLS2388 at 6:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Level 25 (25,280 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • you should also bring any documents that the councilour has.

    Just keep documenting any time that he calls and they talk, any time he sees her other than scheduled visitation.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 6:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • I've gone without an attorney and the Judge acted as my attorney to keep it all fair. Just take what you have.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:40 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • I would get something from the counselor and record the date and time of all yours and DD's conversations with her.

    Answer by aeneva at 6:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • You dont really need a lawyer if you have documentation like the text messages etc to show a judge. I would also see about any friends or family who might be willing to testify that you let her go and visit her dad. I would ask the therapist as well if they would write a letter or a sworn statement about the name daddy being used. I dont think the judge is going to even deal with that aspect of it though.

    I was held in contempt for similar reasons and also was not my fault. My ex fell off the map and never showed for visits and next thing I knew I was being hit with contempt of court. All they usually do in something like that is tell you to allow visits. Its a slap on the wrist.

    Answer by gemgem at 6:52 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • Bring the texts and something from the counselor to cover yourself. If the judge is against your child calling your fiance daddy he will at least see you where given advice from a professional on the matter and you where not doing anything intentionally. You will be fine.


    Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • Contact your state Legal Aid agency - they usually take on family cases for little to no money. If that doesn't work, contact the State Bar Association in your state to see what lawyers are willing to do "pro bono" (or free) work - it's something that all or most lawyers do to give back to the community.

    Answer by QueenTitania at 9:02 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

  • i agree with PP

    Answer by san78 at 4:51 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.