Extremely afraid of her bed!!!

My 21month old has been in a toddler bed since October because she was jumping in her crib and her feet would be about 6in from going over the crib bar. So obviously I needed to transition. And when I did, Holy cow she did amazing. Right to bed, no crying, tantrums, nothing. Since then she has always said "Night Night" when she wanted to go to bed (which was around the time she normally gets laid down) and climbs into her bed, lays on her pillowpet and goes right to sleep. No problems. Just the past 2 days, she has been screaming, and its not a tantrum, its more in terror. I try to lay her down and she digs her knees and fingers into me. Idk what happened, if its a nightmare or what. I ahve a nightlight but anything brighter than that and she thinks its playtime. I need some help or ideas...PLEASE!!! Thanks so much!

Allie120

Asked by Allie120 at 6:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like a phase. Mine went thru that and after a week or two she went back to normal. You may need to start staying in there until she falls asleep and then start weaning her away from you being in the room.
    You might also think about getting a sound machine that broadcasts white noise.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:35 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• What does the white noise do? Ive always played her heartbeat nursery rhymes when she goes to bed, ever since she was born. ALSO...I have no idea if this has anything to do with it, but I have been telling her that "Daddy is coming home soon." He is in Korea.
    Allie120

Comment by Allie120 (original poster) at 6:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• The white noise is soothing and drowns out any other noise that could scare or interfere with her sleeping.

As for a nightlight, we ended up getting a 5 gallon fish tank and a beta. It gave off more light and the sound of the water was soothing.

As for daddy coming home, she may not understand what that means and it may scare her but I haven't had to deal with that so I don't really know.

My girl is almost 4 and we have been thru this a couple times. it takes a lot of patience. Maybe you need to change the bedtime routine a little? Possibly read a book while in bed before bedtime so that she realizes that there is nothing to fear about being in bed?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:43 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• You could try a safe animal... when my daughter was starting to get afraid I picked up the first stuffed animal I could find and it was a dog... she is 8and a half now and still sleeps with her "safe dog". Another technique is the super-nanny's bed time routine... I am sure you can look it up, it worked on a foster daughter of mine and she had not ever slept alone.
    mepperly07

Answer by mepperly07 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• We read many books before bed...she just doesnt want me to stop. But I have to put an end to it after 6 books. I am going to look into the fishtank idea...Thank you!

She is literally attached to the bumblepee pillowpet. I washed it one day and it exploded in the washer, I couldnt go out right then to get a new one and boy that bedtime was very traumatic. Next morning we got a new one and she was sleeping just fine once she got it. I am going to look up the super nanny bedtime!! Thank you for that tip!
    Allie120

Comment by Allie120 (original poster) at 7:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• i think it sounds like a phase too
    wait it out
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2011