Calling all Hair Stylist....

Tipping Etiquette??? Is the client supposed to hand the tip money to you or give it to the receptionist to give to you later? I gave my stylist her tip today and after I did I thought maybe the right way was to give to front desk. I also tipped her $5-was that an appropriate amount?

Queenofscrap

Asked by Queenofscrap at 6:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• most people tip 15-20%..not everyone tips, and not everyone limits their tips to 20%..just sayin'.

i'm not sure of the proper procedure in a receptioist-provided salon or one in which a different hand is doing each step of the appointment (ie: shampooer, cutter, colorist, stylist, etc.)..it gets complicated!!
    in our salon, each person was independent, even when we employed a receptionist..therefore, each client tipped their hairdresser/colorist personally.
    i think you did fine, and what i would've done, had i been the client. next time, if you are unfamiliar with the salon/its policies/procedures, ask the owner/manager, or your stylist what the proper procedure is. some salon owners do not receive tips, even when they do the work..which is crazy to me!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I never expect anything, but cash is always best because that way we don't have to claim it. I typically get 5 for haircuts and 10 for colors. And yes, I would give it directly to your stylist. I had problems before where other employee's would sneak my tips into their pockets. lol!! Shame shame.
    mamastyles

Answer by mamastyles at 2:12 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• The tip depends on the amount of the visit. Tipping in person is a lot more sincere and that way you are sure that she gets it. I tip 20%. Im not a stylist but my mom is. If that counts LOL. If my amount is $120 then I tip $25. Its totally up to you. I compare it to waitressing. If its a crappy job Ill tip b/n 10% and 15%. BUT if she fixes the "damage" or is doing her best then I still do 20%. Overall it dependson the cost and your experience at that salon.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• . some salon owners do not receive tips, even when they do the work..which is crazy to me!!

My mom taught me the same thing as a Stylest and Owner. The owner gets the full income from the job. So why should you tip? Its going into their pocket anyway. Not being mean just saying
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:46 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• But for the record....even if its an owner I still always tip
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• So why should you tip? --

because its a show of appreciation of a job well-done. and no, no one gets ''the full income from the job''..there are always expenses to be paid. if anything, i'd think a salon owner would appreciate and need the extra more so than an employee. there's all the over-head of keeping a business, advertisement, products, insurance, etc...which isn't the patron's responsibility, of course.
    bottom line, if someone does the work, and i like it, they get tipped.. owner or employee. owners who refuse tips(for their own work) only screw themselves.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Well im a Cosmetologyst So i would rather the tips be given to me because sometimes the receptionist will keep it and not tell you. and you dont have to give the receptionist money all they do is sweep hair and take apointments lol jk they get some stuff ready but not really so yea they dont get tips cause at most places they arent allowed to keep them.
    Bree_vee25

Answer by Bree_vee25 at 6:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Thanks for your comments ladies-I feel better now. I do know that at my salon all the stylist have their own set prices and they move up as they work there. Someone just hired will considerably have lower rates for their work as opposed to my stylist who has been there a long time. I typically, give my tip at the reception desk when I use my debit card and just add it to it-but today I had cash and I just gave it to her....thanks again!
    Queenofscrap

Comment by Queenofscrap (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Oh! I always tip-I even tip the young girls that bring out my order at the Sonic...
    Queenofscrap

Comment by Queenofscrap (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2011