overnights...breast feeding...visists...

my husband and i are getting a divorce...it will be final the month before im due and i know the courts will give him visitation which im not mad about, just worried because they just arent good people. my lawyer said he wont get overnights until my baby starts eating solid foods. about what age is that? and how long does it take for your milk to come in in order to have enough for overnight visits? i really want to wait as long as possible for him to get the overnights but i know i cant avoid it forever. and while waiting to get those, how many hours and how many days will he get to see her? i dont know much about this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I exclusively breastfed my son until he was 6 months old. Then we introduced solids. A breastfed baby doesn't NEED solid food until around a year old, but most babies are ready for solids before then. It generally takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 months for your milk supply to become firmly established.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I plan on breastfeeding for a year, but plenty of people go a lot longer than that! You can get a good pump and start putting milk aside for baby any time, just be sure to pump regularily when Baby is not with your to keep up your supply.

Your doctor will help you determine when to start your baby on solids. Some don't start for a year, some start at three months, there's a lot of variation!

I'd maybe try to keep your baby exclusively on breast milk for as long as possible if you want to avoid the overnights. I wouldn't imagine a court could demand you to feed a baby something else, but I suppose it's possible. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Well, in our state my husband didn't get overnights until stepson was 3yrs. old....... Because he was "breastfeeding" and what not...... But, we all knew that was a lie..... Cuz, when he came to us for a visit all she gave for a bottle was that Pedisure crap...... It wasn't formula or breastmilk... It was pink and smelled like strawberries....... It was just stupid on that end....... I understand that breastfeeding is best, but if you don't send it w/the child what good does that do the child??KWIM?? And Child visitation laws vary state by state and what state the divorce decree was filed in...
    Anonymous