What age is too under for highlighted hair?

Money aside, what age would you let your daughter add highlights to her hair?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 7:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I'd probably let my daughter get highlights when she's 12 or 13 years old. I remember my hair color drastically changing once I hit puberty, and I've been coloring it ever since.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My daughter could have highlights if she asked for them.  Age wouldn't matter to me but she would have to explain to me why she wants highlights.  Mine all have natural blond highlights in their dark hair so I wouldn't see a problem adding a few more if that's what any of them asked for. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• 15+. I want them to learn that their hair is naturally beautiful before they try and change anything, however I think by 15 they'll be pretty comfortable with their natural hair and ready for some fun! I also don't think it's healthy for your hair to get it done too often!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Leah.... I think i was 15 or 16 when I finally talked my mom into using semi-perminant color
    Mel_in_PHX

Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I don't know. I can't imagine that coming up at this point! My DD is 3 and has the most gorgeous natural highlights I have ever seen! I would think over 13 for sure and I would be cautious even then since one you start it is so hard to stop with out completely dying it back or waiting for it to grow out.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I would say 16 is my minimum age.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I wouldn't put a age limit on it. It would all depend on why she wanted them, and how many she wanted to put in. I might try to steer her towards the ones that aren't permanent, like the mascara pens? But if she really wanted them, age wouldn't factor into it. Maturity and the reason behind it would be the main concerns
    mysticlady1221

Answer by mysticlady1221 at 8:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I think it really depends on the situation and the age. My DD has bright red highlights right now and she is 9. They are not perminate and wash out after a few weeks. She has been sick and in the hospital off and on for the past 5 months. She asked if she could have them and since she has been through so much I let her get them.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• my daughter is ten she wants her dyed black i told her no. she already has the curse of the dirty dishwater blonde hair that no matter what we do to wash it is still looks bad , she inherited it from me. highlighting she has yet to ask me for , that is something i would have to think long and hard on. her dad thought it might be cute to put in a temp color on her bangs for valetines day but i am not sure about it either. i started coloring my hair at 13 because i hated my natural color.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 11:42 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• you can use camomile tea ,You take a straw hat cut the top out,rinse your hair with the tea and go sit in the sun.As your hair drys the sun will highlight your hair really naturally.Model Christy Brinkley does this.Its the only non chemical way i have ever herd of that works.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 5:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2011